Economics of running a small window AC unit

82? I'd probably be sweating just sitting and doing nothing at 82... probably depends on the humidity?

I am 99% sure that my wife is 100% against this:
View attachment 173201
I wouldn't care, not in our bedroom, nor in an office space. But I will agree, one is stuck seeing it the 8 months of the year that it's not doing anything (unless if you can heat with it, and your electric less than oil).
You can get mini split heat pumps which do both. A friend's house has no ducts and was heating with wood and electric baseboards, so he installed one himself in his living room and it works pretty good, cools the whole house and heats the main floor in winter.
It's much quieter than our window AC unit.

Hey all, I'd like your input on running a small window air - we have central air, but the issue is that at night the better half likes it cold to sleep. I swear we ...
Hey, what have you got to lose. Me personally? GREAT idea, cost is dirt cheap for a small 5 or 6000 BTU window AC unit, its light and easy to put in, remove it for the winter and the low cost will also take the load off your old central unit. Win - win Most new 5 to 6k BTU units are on the quiet side. Notable for that is LG, Frigidaire, Fredricks, Midea (great price) and really a dirt cheap experiment.

Call me crazy but a window AC unit noise I used to find satisfying for sleeping, Moving South 16 years ago nothing but Central now but even in the south its a great idea and thought about it but we jsut downsized now that the kids are off on their own.
Wife just reminded me, we did use a window unit when we lived in NY to keep the Master frosty cold and the rest of the house a normal temperature.

Last edited:
If a split is too much for the budget then consider a saddle type of AC. It’s a window unit that fits over the sill. The noisy parts are outside.

Here is one example.

You can get mini split heat pumps which do both. A friend's house has no ducts and was heating with wood and electric baseboards, so he installed one himself in his living room and it works pretty good, cools the whole house and heats the main floor in winter.
It's much quieter than our window AC unit.
I wouldn't mind that, couple of them would be nice. We have 3 zones but both kids are on the same one, and go figure, the one who likes a warmer room got the colder one. [Tough life kid.]

Window ac units are great, but I wound up having to do this in the master, as the wife isn't interested in splits. It's only there 4 months of the year, and the room is big enough that it's not a problem. Large enough that we just need a second one in the main living area (but we blow air around from both of them), and since it's in the master, well that that's the only one we care about at night. However it will kick off when outside temp drops below 65 or so, which is a problem--it can be 67 inside still, or warmer, and add in any humidity and we're uncomfortable. Oh well, first world problems.

1692195717147.jpg

82? I'd probably be sweating just sitting and doing nothing at 82... probably depends on the humidity?

View attachment 173201
I wouldn't care, not in our bedroom, nor in an office space. But I will agree, one is stuck seeing it the 8 months of the year that it's not doing anything (unless if you can heat with it, and your electric less than oil).
Well we never set the house cooler than 77 other than to sleep at night. So if you wanted to save $$ and just cut humidity on hot days, it’s not much of a stretch I don’t think.

Window units aren’t pretty but you can remove them after the three months of use. A heat capable mini split is a great thing because you can do the opposite of cooling one space in the winter. We do this in our kitchen sometimes in the winter.

Hey all, I'd like your input on running a small window air - we have central air, but the issue is that at night the better half likes it cold to sleep. I swear we could hang meat in the place at night :ROFLMAO: It's usually around 64 degrees.. Well, I go to bed later than her, so I'm bundled up in sweats, a fleece jacket and socks.. in the middle of the summer for crying out loud! 75 to 78 would be far more comfortable. Not to mention cooling the entire house surely can't be that cost effective? I realize that central air is typically more efficient, but this is a pretty old system at 25+ years old.

Are modern window units efficient enough that we would see a savings? To clarify, no, the house is not 64 all day, just after 8:00 pm. It is set to go to 80 when we are away, then 78 at 1:00 when she gets home. Also, how quiet are window units? Are there some that are noted for that? She is a bit of a princess when it comes to sleep - has to be quiet and DARK.

As always, thanks in advance for your input!
I thought I was the only one. But I managed to raise the temperature to 64 from 60 when the price of electricity doubled for us...

I think you can see savings of cooling one room versus cooling the entire house depending the size of the bedroom versus the house. The central AC systems are quite efficient.

The best route is to get a split unit for the bedroom if possible. They are an easy DIY as long as you can pull the electric supply. There are 110 volt systems that are easier to install. Next best thing is a window unit. The worst option is a portable AC with a single hose - get a dual hose system if you go that route.

I wouldn't mind that, couple of them would be nice. We have 3 zones but both kids are on the same one, and go figure, the one who likes a warmer room got the colder one. [Tough life kid.]

Window ac units are great, but I wound up having to do this in the master, as the wife isn't interested in splits. It's only there 4 months of the year, and the room is big enough that it's not a problem. Large enough that we just need a second one in the main living area (but we blow air around from both of them), and since it's in the master, well that that's the only one we care about at night. However it will kick off when outside temp drops below 65 or so, which is a problem--it can be 67 inside still, or warmer, and add in any humidity and we're uncomfortable. Oh well, first world problems.

View attachment 173208
Hmm, our LG seems to only monitor indoor temps, and has a drying mode even, but lately I just run the unit during the day with it at 70F which cools the house to 74f and decently dry. If its going to be colder at night I just shut it down and the house stays dry and cool enough until morning. Smallish newish tight house helps although we almost always have a few windows open an inch.

My electric use this month so far. Our starts on various dates. 10 y old
central air. 1400 sq ft. It's been cool this month especially lately. 10 day heat wave on the way.
Last night I opened the front door and two cross flow windows on a 56° night. A/C probably wont run until 4 pm or so. When I got up the temp of the house went down 6° overnight. Unfortunately the winds were calm or It may have got down to 66° like the night before. Air did not run yesterday until 9 pm when I switched it on, which used 1.5 KWh. We have a great online electric website.
Screenshot_20230816_105011_evergy.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, our LG seems to only monitor indoor temps, and has a drying mode even, but lately I just run the unit during the day with it at 70F which cools the house to 74f and decently dry. If its going to be colder at night I just shut it down and the house stays dry and cool enough until morning. Smallish newish tight house helps although we almost always have a few windows open an inch.
It's probably sensing temperature inside the unit, and turning off to prevent icing. Just my guess.

Subbed for info. I'm 99% in my office which usually is 80+ because of my PC so it would be nice to see alternatives to setting the central air lower.

View attachment 173201
You can buy mini-splits that heat also, so it will be functional in the winter

If a split is too much for the budget then consider a saddle type of AC. It’s a window unit that fits over the sill. The noisy parts are outside.

Here is one example.

It does claim to be very quiet...what the heck worth a try....

Most split systems have the temperature sensor in the remote. Is that what you are thinking of?

When I had my units installed I had to chose the remote locations carefully

We do exactly what you describe. Run an 8000 (or similar) BTU unit near the bed down to 63°, close the door and try to remember to turn up the house AC from 70 to 73 at night.

Electric bills remain unchanged. But the bedroom is much cooler.

View attachment 173201

I have a Bryant 2-ton mini-split heat pump in my 30x48 insulated workshop. SEER was around 20 I think. The increase in energy usage is hardly noticeable. I set it 80 summer and 62 winter, but set it for more comfort if i'm actually out there. Cost of energy is more important than cost of unit to me. Initial cost is one time. Energy cost is monthly for the lifetime of the unit.

View attachment 173208
That looks like an interesting design. Are there actually two air ducts in that flexible attachment?

I have a Bryant 2-ton mini-split heat pump in my 30x48 insulated workshop. SEER was around 20 I think. The increase in energy usage is hardly noticeable. I set it 80 summer and 62 winter, but set it for more comfort if i'm actually out there. Cost of energy is more important than cost of unit to me. Initial cost is one time. Energy cost is monthly for the lifetime of the unit.
You can put that into perspective by assuming a lifetime for the unit, say 25 years. Add the energy cost for 25 years and compare it to the capital cost.

We find a window unit in the bedroom ideal for getting a good night's sleep.
Dirt cheap to buy and to run.
The noise is of the white noise variety as noted above and we need it maybe four months out of the year.

Back