Eclipse Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tom slick
This was my view of the eclipse. It was overcast.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I didn't see anything. I was outside changing the fuel filter on my truck.
Yeah, We didn't get hardly any effect in Texas.
?????

You can kind of see it, it gave a lot of glare on the lens on my iPhone 7+

Since I took the picture vertically the picture is rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise for some reason.

This is from my neck of the woods.
White puffy clouds the whole day, mostly sunny, then about an hour before totality sun was covered. But then it cleared up pretty nice until about 15 minutes before totality when I see this huge gray cloud approaching fast. I was afraid it would come in and mess up the whole experience, but we dodged the bullet. Just as the moon moved away and the sun started shining again the cloud moved in, but by that time we have seen all we needed.
Just amazing!!!

Originally Posted By: FlyingVan
This is from my neck of the woods.
White puffy clouds the whole day, mostly sunny, then about an hour before totality sun was covered. But then it cleared up pretty nice until about 15 minutes before totality when I see this huge gray cloud approaching fast. I was afraid it would come in and mess up the whole experience, but we dodged the bullet. Just as the moon moved away and the sun started shining again the cloud moved in, but by that time we have seen all we needed.
Just amazing!!!

Incredible!

I was at work and saw this shining through a hole in a canopy. It seemed to be the perfect distance from canopy to ground for clarity. Everything else was pretty fuzzy. Moto G3.

We watched it happen through the terminal's skylight while waiting for our flight out of Orlando. My wife bought viewing glasses and we passed them around to anyone who walked up and asked to take a look, including airport staff and United employees, which we were more then happy to do. It was a pretty cool experience.

FWIW a weatherman on TV said that sun boils up clouds, so when the eclipse is forming, the clouds don't have the energy, so many got "lucky" through science.

I am digging the various levels of grain, white balance, and cloud cover everyone's getting.

This is at ~5500' elevation in Eastern Oregon just as Totality was ending.

img_6654copy.jpg

I have some blurrier photos from durng totality but my cheap tripod kept shaking. I was using a remote shutter operator.

As it was I wish I spent more time looking at corona rather than trying to get a pic of it.
img_6653copy.jpg

Pretty awesome experience, but the best part is the Road trip from San Diego with my 80 year old father. Traffic south of Bend Oregon going south just now, well we turned around. Screw that, I aint driving 20MPH for 80+ miles. First traffic we hit though.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

As it was I wish I spent more time looking at corona rather than trying to get a pic of it.

I was lucky because there was no totality. My interest was to see sunspots. The comment about not enjoying it because of taking pics is safe advice. I suspect in 7 years we will be in the totality zone someplace.

For me, seeing it through live view on my camera was safer and allowed me to zoom to see the sunspots I wanted. Id have been very frustrated if I couldn't get my tripod set up right during the couple minutes there was for totality.

I was able to see darker spots on the sun's surface before and after. I used 2 layers of 35MM B&W film taped to some safety glasses. 1 layer was not enough and 3 was too much. I never expected to really drive anywhere to see the eclipse and did not bother trying to acquire real glasses beforehand. I asked my Dad on the Tuesday before if he had interest in flying out and taking a roadtrip and he had tickets a few hours later.

Honestly the time before and after totality is boring compared to the ~90 seconds it lasted. A few minutes on either side the shadows of the pine trees were super sharply defined on whatever surface they rested upon.

My bad on the old cheap tripod, and I should have really researched the ideal apertures and shutter speeds beforehand. The better photo was with a much shorter shutter speed. The second photo was the smallest aperture of my canon kit 250MM zoom lens and about 2 seconds iirc.

I should really have just shortened the legs and sat on the ground to reduce eliminate camera shaking, or perhaps used a bigger aperture and faster shutter speed or both.

The eclipse was a great reason my Dad and I to spend time together, turning into a roadtrip of about a total of 2500 miles over the 6 days, and much of that on roads on which I had never been before and most of which my Father had not seen before, or had not seen in 50+ years.

We were still driving when partiality had begun, and after acquiring a spot pretty well away from all other humans in the forest in the path of totality, had about 30 minutes to destroy the B&W film I never developed, make eclipse glasses, and set up the camera and take some photos of Dad and I.

We both felt kind of strange as totality was approaching, like we had split a spliff, or a bottle of wine beforehand.

Overall, We both agree the effort required to get in the path of totality was well worth it, but it was just the icing on the cake of the roadtrip and spending time together.

We were also able to avoid all of the traffic and crowds beforehand, and after, well, we had the luxury of beng able to turn around and get a hotel, rather than sit in a traffic jam south out of Bend, Oregon.

I recommend that whomever did not get to see totality, do so in 2024, and be better prepared than I was. Perhaps also get into the very centerline of totality so that it lasts those 15 seconds or more longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back