Drydene 400 at Dover

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to him could still happen today.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Just Mike Rich getting stuffed in the rear wheel well of Bill Elliott's T-Bird in Atlanta when Ricky Rudd spun out on pit road and killed him. So not to many got hurt
Pit road speed limit is one of the best safety rules ever. Nobody needs to die on pit road

Originally Posted by JasonC
What happened to him could still happen today.

Just Mike Rich getting stuffed in the rear wheel well of Bill Elliott's T-Bird in Atlanta when Ricky Rudd spun out on pit road and killed him. So not to many got hurt
Pit road speed limit is one of the best safety rules ever. Nobody needs to die on pit road

Sure
Anything is possible
But cars running 100mph down pit road increases the risk 10 fold

Life is risky. You know the risks when you take the job. Sure safety is one thing, but don't kid yourself that the main factor is giving those sponsors more air time.

One of the JTGDaugherty crewman broke his leg on pitroad at Atlanta this year, so yes the danger is always there. Pit road speed limits drastically cut down on injuries to crews. If you want to see no speed limits on pit lane, watch the All Star Race qualifying. They have special rules for that including the pit crews are not allowed to go over the wall until the car is stopped.

Nascar would greatly enhance their appeal if they got rid of stages, got rid of the Chase, and reduced aerodynamics to improve the racing quality. Even if it slowed the cars down it would put it back in the driver's hands.

Life is risky. You know the risks when you take the job. Sure safety is one thing, but don't kid yourself that the main factor is giving those sponsors more air time.

No the main factor is safety.....period
More exposure for the sponsor is just a by product of slower speeds.
The pit road speed rule was put into effect when Mike Rich was killed and had nothing to do with sponsors wanting move tv time

Nascar isn't in the business of running races. They are in the business of making money. Everything they do, is to increase their bottom line. Just like any other business.

Life is risky. You

know the risks when you take the job. Sure safety is one thing, but don't kid yourself that the main factor is giving those sponsors more air time.

The pit road speed rule was put into effect when Mike Rich was killed and had nothing to do with sponsors wanting move tv time

Sponsors don't like dead bodies. I think there are still lawsuits from the Nationwide Daytona crash where Kyle Larson's engine went into the stands.

The new Gen 7 car might have single lug wheels like almost every other series on the planet. I'm agnostic to the move personally. They are moving to 17 or 18" wheels with the new car.

Nascar isn't in the business of running races. They are in the business of making money. Everything they do, is to increase their bottom line. Just like any other business.

Life is risky. You

know the risks when you take the job. Sure safety is one thing, but don't kid yourself that the main factor is giving those sponsors more air time.

No races no money, so tell me how that would be a profitable deal for nascar ?
I think most people that buy a ticket and go to races don't go to look at which sponsor is most eye catching and there for makes them go out and buy their products or whatever they sell or at least for the last 40 years I've been watching and attending nascar races.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Guess I am weird, I go out of my way to buy products from companies that sponsor NASCAR, even drivers I don't like.

No sir
Your not weird....I do as well and I'm pretty sure the majority of NASCAR fans do as well. That's why corporate America backs Nascar they way they do. But race fans buy tickets and watch on tv to watch racing....not to see who's the sponsor

Last edited:
Guess I am weird, I go out of my way to buy products from companies that sponsor NASCAR, even drivers I don't like.

No sir
Your not weird....I do as well and I'm pretty sure the majority of NASCAR fans do as well. That's why corporate America backs Nascar they way they do. But race fans buy tickets and watch on tv to watch racing....not to see who's the sponsor

True ^^^^

However.. it must be said about advertising... You see something a lot of times. . . It sticks in your head subconsciously... And that is where the advertising really works.

I hear commercials on the radio for say ET Lawson.... They do home heating and air work in my area locally... If I needed heating and air work... I may well call them first... Because I have heard their ads so many times over the years on the radio...

Same thing is true with sponsors in racing.

Originally Posted by bbhero

No sir

True ^^^^

However.. it must be said about advertising... You see something a lot of times. . . It sticks in your head subconsciously... And that is where the advertising really works.

I hear commercials on the radio for say ET Lawson.... They do home heating and air work in my area locally... If I needed heating and air work... I may well call them first... Because I have heard their ads so many times over the years on the radio...

Same thing is true with sponsors in racing.

Absolutely
I think most of us are on the same page with that aspect of advertising

Yeah it is not a conscious choice to go see or go to a race for advertising reasons... You go because you want to go see a race... Which I have done... In 2004 at Richmond I have the great chance to see my favorite driver win Dale Earnhardt Jr...

The subconscious advertising is really what they want to do... Like the ET Lawson ads I have heard on the radio for years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back