Dropped off the Accord at Maaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clearcoat has been failing for years but it had become a real eye sore lately. I got an estimate last year from a local Maaco for $1200. Went to another one 30 min away and for $900, they'll be doing the urethane pkg + additional sanding of the shot CC areas.

I dropped off the car this morning and am looking forward to the final product!

I could use that too. I kind of neglected my WRX's paint for a while, and the clear coat is clearly pitted on the roof. Not sure what anyone could do about the aluminum hood though. When I had a slight dent in it, I was told it couldn't be repainted because it had a special coating to allow it to be painted, and that automotive paints wouldn't adhere to the bare aluminum.

I'd like to see the prep work/detail around plastic trim, especially around window trim and sills. Looking to get my 02 Silverado repainted since the clear is failing and with a couple rust spots of the roof.

Maaco is hit or miss. They usually have good painters but the prep work is where they aren't very good. A local body shop will be your best bet most of the time.

I have thought about getting my Taurus done at Macco. The paint is starting to look pretty bad on the roof but the car isn't worth spending much on a paint job even though mechanically it's in great shape. I too have heard it depends a lot on the Maaco shop you go to as they aren't consistent from shop to shop.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Maaco is hit or miss. They usually have good painters but the prep work is where they aren't very good. A local body shop will be your best bet most of the time.

Yes... And it will run about $3000-$5000...

Originally Posted by y_p_w
I could use that too. I kind of neglected my WRX's paint for a while, and the clear coat is clearly pitted on the roof. Not sure what anyone could do about the aluminum hood though. When I had a slight dent in it, I was told it couldn't be repainted because it had a special coating to allow it to be painted, and that automotive paints wouldn't adhere to the bare aluminum.

Subarus come with poor paint from the factory....at no additional cost!

Ask me how i know......

I have dealt with three different Maaco shops over the years. Had some older white trucks and vans painted that did not have to be first rate. And the finished product never was.

Following to see how the final product looks. The E36 is getting painted next door, gaskets out, and Im well over 1k in just gaskets, hardware, a few trim pieces, and other bits.

Subscribed, waiting on pics. They did a black E-150 for me years ago. I was impressed with the job, and it looked good years later when I sold it. I hope you get as good a job as I did. Quality varies a lot from shop to shop. I did my homework.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Good luck. Please post pics; before and after is possible.
I love older Accords.

I agree with you about older Accords.

I have fond memories of painting beaters with the Earl of Scheib and some even cheaper pretenders. Ran from $30+ to about $600 with body work Seventies through early aughts. Always using their standard non matching colors. Not things of beauty but a normal paint job would have run more than the cars. Fond memories of poverty. Used Maaco once for painting and bodywork and they did a decent job.

For the $1200 job, did that include rolling up the windows before painting?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Maaco is hit or miss. They usually have good painters but the prep work is where they aren't very good ...

That prep work is what BURNS the man hours, and makes good body work so expensive ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back