dropped a zip tie in my prius trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just poke around and do needless inspections and preventative maintenance until we break something.

Originally Posted by wdn
Let's just poke around and do needless inspections and preventative maintenance until we break something.

I'm not that guy who broke his overhead cam trying to get varnish off of it, lol. I like the hot wire idea and might be able to bend up a hemostat into something useful. But good to have a consensus that I could leave it in there.

The car did only have .75 quarts of atf vs the rated 3.5 so it's good I looked in there... Axle seal weeps, will address that when it warms up.

I'm not a CVT expert, but isn't this transmission basically contained ?

There's only 2 bolts... fill and drain.

If its not leaking, the fluid hasn't gone anywhere.

Plastic Zip or Cable Ties are made of one of two materials:

Polypropylene, also known as polypropene, is a thermoplastic polymer used in a wide variety of applications. Polypropylene belongs to the group of polyolefins and is partially crystalline and non-polar.

Melting point: 320°F

Nylon is a generic designation for a family of synthetic polymers.

Melting point: 374-663 °F

So it appears that if your fluid never reaches 320F or higher it would not dissolve in CVT ATF.

My concern would be it getting caught in the chain/belt system.

Last thing I'd ever do is leave that zip-tie in a trans, any trans. Since you can gain access to it there's no reason you can't retrieve it. Use both holes, drain and fill along with a long piece of wire with a hook bent on the end. Use heat if you have to. Getting the end of the wire red hot might allow you melt it through/into the tie enough to pull it to one of the holes.

There is no pan, it's a split case setup.

Those springy grabbers are an issue in that I need to make a 70 degree turn right after going through the hole. I could tape off to some stiff wire, but I don't know if I can get grabbers, camera, and wire through that hole simultaneously.

Originally Posted by eljefino
... I could tape off to some stiff wire, but I don't know if I can get grabbers, camera, and wire through that hole simultaneously.
Maybe maneuver at least one of those up through the drain hole? They're not terribly far apart.

Wound up pushing it to the drain plug and hooking it with some 14 ga wire.
banana2.gif

Slick!

I was going to make another crack about people putting things that don't belong in their fill holes, until I remembered that I check my differential oil with a bent nail. I'll be using something that won't fit inside the hole next time.

Originally Posted by spasm3
what kind of optic/scope were you using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WRNGYXY/

It's pretty chintzy. Took a while to find the rheostat for the lights, it's on the USB part on the computer side of things. Fixed focus rated for 2-4 cm. (I guess autofocus would go crazy.) And the metal ring around the camera and circuit chips came off when I was messing with it, it's only on with friction of an o-ring or something? I taped it so I wouldn't lose that in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back