Drool-worthy race engine photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dja4260
622ci Dart headed/block motor. Made 1000 HP on race gas. Boat has run 7.70's @ 155 using 1 lb of NOS. We run an 8.00 bracket in the 1/4.

Yikes! High speeds and boats scare me, they make very very poor airplanes but everyone sets them up so they're pretty much flying...
Anyways, its good to see a low tech motor making a good whack of HP! Keep it right side up!

Originally Posted By: Rix
I like the underdogs back in the day..... AMC.

1970_AMC_Javelin_SVRA_Vintage_Race_Car_Engine_1.jpg

From the Javelin.

taz0680pro.jpg

1971-AMC-Javelin-Penske-Transam-001.jpg

1971-AMC-Javelin-Penske-Transam-5.jpg

I'm standing next to that car while I'm typing this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Also I remember some of the Cosworth Champ Car 2.65L V8's having injectors spraying into the air ducting before and after the turbo besides the ones for the cylinders.

An early version of anti-lag, perhaps??
21.gif

Here's one near to my heart
smile.gif

formula atlantic 4age.
1.6 liter, naturally aspirated (rated) 240 HP. from things I've heard,late atlantics (before they switched to cosworth) were closer to 285.

014.jpg

What is that swapped into?? (I'll bet that thing is about the 'peaky-est' powerplant one could ever possible drive on the street!! Can you say 9K rpm shift points, even in normal driving?!?
lol.gif
)

Or is that a drift Corolla?

Actually, the Atlantics were Cossies waaayyyyy back before 'yota, and the 4ages were involved (like from the beginning of the class/spec).
wink.gif

I miss the glory days of Champ Car back in the late 90s when you had Lola, Reynard, Swift, Eagle and Penske chassis. And then Cosworth, Honda, Toyota and Mercedes-Ilmor powerplants.

Same here.
frown.gif

Can you imagine the insanity if CART had allowed intercooling on those beasts?!?!
crazy2.gif

From the Javelin.

taz0680pro.jpg

Yes, that thing was wicked looking with the sexy, swoopy fenders, patriotic paint scheme, side exhaust, and fat Goodyears on Minilites

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Also I remember some of the Cosworth Champ Car 2.65L V8's having injectors spraying into the air ducting before and after the turbo besides the ones for the cylinders.

21.gif

I think at the time they just didn't have injectors big enough.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
622ci Dart headed/block motor. Made 1000 HP on race gas. Boat has run 7.70's @ 155 using 1 lb of NOS. We run an 8.00 bracket in the 1/4.

DSC_3459.jpg

CIMG1467.jpg

CIMG2233.jpg

Dragboat 1
Dragboat 2
Dragboat 3
Dragboat 4
Cool I love drag boats I have owned a couple of Hondo sprints over the years sold the last one in 2004 when doing an engine swap a boating bud offered to buy in when I was debating to buy a World products 600 something Ci supercharged engine. One of my boating buds was co owners of What a Tomatoe Blown Alky Hydro. Again I love drag boats. Thanks for sharing the pics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iBuj82pSD8 Bill R could build some great engines. He helped my with some of my boat engines . In 9th grade he built the fastest dirt bikes. Out of high school he owned some of the faster lake boatsin the area and in 1972 or three he had a Sanger hydro "Holocost" with Nos that was so fast when the NOS was on it would pull away from my boat like I let off the gas.

21.gif

I think at the time they just didn't have injectors big enough.
A wild guess would be to cool the intake temps through evaporation.

I've seen "What a Tomatoe" run at Phoenix dragway a few years back. Its amazing how fast those TAH and TFH boats are. 240+ mph in 4 seconds. Our boat is a Deaver hydro that we purchased from TFH driver John Haas. Thanks for sharing your experiences. If you have any pictures post them up!

From the Javelin.

taz0680pro.jpg

Yes, that thing was wicked looking with the sexy, swoopy fenders, patriotic paint scheme, side exhaust, and fat Goodyears on Minilites

We took it to Laguna Seca recently. I'll try to post my video tonight.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker

From the Javelin.

taz0680pro.jpg

I like the Trans am cars of that era 1968- 1969,70 My friends had the concession at Sears point
grin2.gif
Raceway so We used to get into the races free and would see them all. That was great racing with real cars.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

From the Javelin.

taz0680pro.jpg

I like the Trans am cars of that era 1968- 1969,70 My friends had the concession at Sears point
grin2.gif
Raceway so We used to get into the races free and would see them all. That was great racing with real cars.

Here's a start:

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Over 100 mph in a boat scares me to much these days. I am getting too old!!!

No, you're just getting wise.

From the Javelin.

taz0680pro.jpg

I'm standing next to that car while I'm typing this.

You suck. I hate you.

LOL

The Javelins (gen2) are my favorite trans am cars, period.
I have a 72, and I had to sell the 69 I had (flat fender, obviously).
They just look so awesome, and were so much in the hind end of the spotlight, because it was AMC.

grin2.gif
Raceway so We used to get into the races free and would see them all. That was great racing with real cars. [/quote]

Here's a start:

[/quote]

SWEET VIDS!!!
thumbsup2.gif

I love it when these things run as support races at Lime Rock (sometimes it's a better show than the main/feature race
smile.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back