Drool-worthy race engine photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how this guy got up close with them, but the photos are awesome.

http://www.gurneyflap.com/engine.html

Sample:

DSCN4540.jpg

Last edited:
ER, ER, ER, DA, DA,DA. as much as i dis like anything not made in the U.S., IAM BIG TIME DROOLING. i dont know to move pics. so ill just tell you what to look at. a Dodge,Plymouth 1962-1964 max-wedge. NOT a hemi, but the wedge.

Here's one near to my heart
smile.gif

formula atlantic 4age.
1.6 liter, naturally aspirated (rated) 240 HP. from things I've heard,late atlantics (before they switched to cosworth) were closer to 285.

014.jpg

That one also looks to have fuel injectors squirting INTO the velocity stacks. That's interesting...kind of the opposite of direct injection. That's injecting fuel so far upstream, it's not even "within" the engine at all, but in the air stream.

Is that based on a Toyota production 4-cylinder, or is it a different design altogether?

They spray into the top of the inlet trumpet on some of those motors. Also I remember some of the Cosworth Champ Car 2.65L V8's having injectors spraying into the air ducting before and after the turbo besides the ones for the cylinders.

realy i like a 57-58 392 hemi GMC 6-71 blower, in the late 60s. those were the days. there was no after market cranks, blocks heads. all those parts are stock off of a 57-58 new yorker or imperial. my dad and i would drive a 57 new yorker to the track. and drive home useing the same type engine we just saw going 200 mph, 7.5 et

Originally Posted By: Rix
smile.gif

formula atlantic 4age.
1.6 liter, naturally aspirated (rated) 240 HP. from things I've heard,late atlantics (before they switched to cosworth) were closer to 285.

014.jpg

Funny enough, I met Lee Bentham (Former Atlantic driver in the 90's) at a local semi abandoned go-kart track in the late 90's when I was out with my dirtbike. He had a little RWD corolla with a formula atlantic 4age in it. Him and another formula atlantic driver were messing around with a couple 4 stroke carts so I stopped to watch them go at it. After a while they stopped and came over and introduced themselves, and I asked Lee if he was the THE Lee Benthem, he got a kick out of that, I guess most formula atlantic drivers don't expect their name to be recognized out of racing circles.
They let me try a cart out for a few laps too, which was nice of them. Anyways, I didn't get to hear the car run but it must've been quite fun on the street!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That one also looks to have fuel injectors squirting INTO the velocity stacks. That's interesting...kind of the opposite of direct injection. That's injecting fuel so far upstream, it's not even "within" the engine at all, but in the air stream.

Is that based on a Toyota production 4-cylinder, or is it a different design altogether?

The atlantic 4age is based on late model (production) 4agze blocks (roots supercharged 1.6 liter) due to the higher nickel content of the block.
Compression is (IIRC) 13.75:1, cams are 314-320 plus degree duration, lots of lift.
They have seriously large (for a 1.6) crank and rods, dry sump, massive ports,14k RPM rev limits, etc etc.
The crummy part is that TRD kinda priced themselves out of the atlantic series.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Rix
smile.gif

formula atlantic 4age.

014.jpg

Funny enough, I met Lee Bentham (Former Atlantic driver in the 90's) at a local semi abandoned go-kart track in the late 90's when I was out with my dirtbike. He had a little RWD corolla with a formula atlantic 4age in it. Him and another formula atlantic driver were messing around with a couple 4 stroke carts so I stopped to watch them go at it. After a while they stopped and came over and introduced themselves, and I asked Lee if he was the THE Lee Benthem, he got a kick out of that, I guess most formula atlantic drivers don't expect their name to be recognized out of racing circles.
They let me try a cart out for a few laps too, which was nice of them. Anyways, I didn't get to hear the car run but it must've been quite fun on the street!

Litte rear wheel drive corolla with (pseudo) atlantic engine.

Check!!

Picture021.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg

I'm only 11:1 compression, and much smaller cams (got 304's for it though) and my throttles are much smaller. And it only does 10.5k rpm.

I miss the glory days of Champ Car back in the late 90s when you had Lola, Reynard, Swift, Eagle and Penske chassis. And then Cosworth, Honda, Toyota and Mercedes-Ilmor powerplants.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That one also looks to have fuel injectors squirting INTO the velocity stacks.

If I've snagged the right link, this is similar (Renault F1, back in the 3.0L days):

Originally Posted By: dja4260
622ci Dart headed/block motor. Made 1000 HP on race gas. Boat has run 7.70's @ 155 using 1 lb of NOS. We run an 8.00 bracket in the 1/4.

Needs moar displacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back