Drag race seen today on highway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Virginia has a law on the books for 15 over the posted limit or 80+ overall is reckless. Considering the large majority of Virginia interstates outside of Richmond and the Norfolk/VA Beach areas are long, boring, and deserted, it's kind of ridiculous IMO.

Public roads are not your personal drag strips.
It is very stupid to put other drivers at risk because of your immaturity.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Nygotha a 130 mph limit?? Come on now

Go big or go home.. all I got to say to that
smile.gif

Always good to see you on here.

Thanks Brian. I had H speed rated tires at the time.

Illegal street racing is done by 100% complete idiots. And those that support it are the same. I would shred their license put some salted nuts on it and have them eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner etc. Thanks for reading.

Several years ago I had a Ram SRT-10 want to play with my lightly modded MS3. I stayed with him to about 120.
These days I prefer trying to bait dimwits into keeping up with me on a decreasing radius on-ramp- hilarity often ensues...
19.gif

My top speed (so far) was 240 kph /143 mph on the autobahn in Germany, in a rented diesel Audi A3 with 6 speed manual transmission over the weekend on a business trip. No racing then, but I was following a black Porsche at one point - until we hit one of those long tall straight bridges like you see engineers or saboteurs trying to blow up in the WWII movies. The Porsche took off like I was standing still at 240 kph!

I'll say this.... There are far more incidents related to other activities that happen far, far, far more often that street racing that are actually more dangerous. Texting and driving, too sleepy while driving, drinking and driving to just name a few. And those happen all the time.

Having said that I do agree to a certain extent with you. If there's a place where there is no one around, and there are people up ahead spotting for oncoming traffic, and the lanes are not on a residential part of a highway, no other roads intersecting with that road, and no way for any third person or party to get torn up... Then I say ok go for it. But let's be honest... That probably doesn't happen very often at all. And that is wrong and totally stupid.

I don't mind people driving 100 or more mph down the interstate either. If there's no one around at all then I really don't have a qualm with that. Far, far better no one else is hardly around versus having a decent number of other people around. Like on July 4th night this past year. I am headed east bound on interstate 64 and these two cats come rolling 100 mph. I am going 78-79. I get out of their way. Then two more world champions come up going 115 I'd bet. Going around the slow right turn near exit 220 and there's a vehicle in the right emergency lane. Blue lights come on. State police officer had to chase down one of the champions going 115. I laughed a lot at that. And I was not pleased with them champions either. Because there was a good bit of traffic out that night at 1 in the morning due to it being July 4th night into the 5th am. That was what was stupid to me. If those morons had been out there on say July 20th on a Thursday at 1 am with hardly anyone at all around... Still really dumb and stupid. No doubt. But at least there would have been far, far less other people on the road. Thus greatly limiting anyone else exposure to those Champions.

Last edited:
You bring up good points & good discussion bbhero. It would be interesting to see street racing (not involving anyone under the influence) quantitative incident statistics vs many other things as you mention, to see the relative ranking.

A majority of the time those driving that fast have somewhat of a clue what they are doing and are 10X safer than the 85 year old blue hair that can barely see over the wheel hogging the left lane or the nitwit girl texting in traffic! Speeders are the LEAST of our worries on the roads, its the other non-driving morons doing the speed limit or less that urk me!!!!

I agree, if you wanna play make sure there is little to no traffic and open roads, don't do it in congested areas where others are put at risk. I grew up with very fast mustangs and we street raced a lot, it was so much fun and not a single one of us ever got in a wreck or hurt. I did have a buddy in Manassas VA get nailed for racing his Camaro one night. Impounded the car and took him to jail! Major fines and license lost!

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Several years ago I had a Ram SRT-10 want to play with my lightly modded MS3. I stayed with him to about 120.
These days I prefer trying to bait dimwits into keeping up with me on a decreasing radius on-ramp- hilarity often ensues...
19.gif

I do this all the time. Some tail sniffer will be all over me and I just smoothly increase my speed while the corner tightens!

A few years back a clown in a Viper decided to play race with a clown heavily modded WRX wagon on I190 in MA.

Guess who won! The WRX who took off after the Viper owner and his wife died. The upside no innocent lives taken except the passenger.

The most reckless drivers are the diesel guys in their jacked up , black smoking trucks forcing their way in and out of lanes without any regards to fellow motorists.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
The most reckless drivers are the diesel guys in their jacked up , black smoking trucks forcing their way in and out of lanes without any regards to fellow motorists.

It would be close between them and the ghetto blasters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back