Door Weatherstripping loosing grip

The rubber weatherstripping around the edges of the rear door on my 2002 Mazda Tribute (a rebranded Ford Escape) is falling off the body where it normally slips on. The seal is broken causing a lot of wind noise while driving. I can push the weatherstripping back on ... it holds for a few seconds and then snaps back off again.

I'm stumped how it stayed on for so many years as I don't see any glue residue. It appears to be simply friction that held it on. With decades of age, the rubber shrinks a little and no longer grabs enough to stay in place.

As this probably happens with a lot of older vehicles, is there a common fix? Can I simply apply some adhesive to keep it on?

Attachments

• Door Weatherstripping.jpg
    Door Weatherstripping.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 9
The rubber weatherstripping around the edges of the rear door on my 2002 Mazda Tribute (a rebranded Ford Escape) is falling off the body where it normally slips on. The seal is broken causing a lot of wind noise while driving. I can push the weatherstripping back on ... it holds for a few seconds and then snaps back off again.

I'm stumped how it stayed on for so many years as I don't see any glue residue. It appears to be simply friction that held it on. With decades of age, the rubber shrinks a little and no longer grabs enough to stay in place.

As this probably happens with a lot of older vehicles, is there a common fix? Can I simply apply some adhesive to keep it on?

yes as @Snagglefoot was saying weatherstrip adhesive.. it probably was a pressure fit but over time it got a little worn and that's why it's slipping off now. Cheaper just to glue it back into place. And of course if that doesn't work (for noise, wind, etc) then you'd have to replace the entire weatherstrip.. Easier to start with the cheaper fix.

there is or was a glue made for this specifically from loctite. its been a few years so I cannot guarantee its still around. I have a tube in the shop but I betcha its basically playdoh now.

Can you suggest a brand, or post a link?
The thing is that I tried the "3M Weatherstrip adhesive" which is a type of glue, but in the process noticed that the manufacturer used double sided sticky tape which I had to completely remove first before using the glue. The glue failed in several places (and in a relatively short period of time) and in those places I used the double sided sticky tape intended for exterior mouldings, probably this stuff:

3M Super-Strength Molding Tape, 03614, 1/2 in x 15 ft, 1 Roll​

tape_001.jpg

Which I found to be vastly superior to the glue, and a lot less messy to apply.

I used the yellow goopy 3M weatherstrip adhesive on the rear doors of an '05 Escape. The owners reported it held well

Autozone stocks it, or used to

On OBS full size Fords I would often just order new weatherstripping from LMC

Back