Door lock issue

The driver’s side door thumb plunger on my 70 A-body car has no resistance and will not open my door which can be opened from the inside. Once before when this happened, I noted that the rod inside the door that was supposed to go to the back of handle had fallen away. Believing this may be the same issue and before I take the door panel off is there a fix for this issue?
Door.jpg

My question is can you see anything that may cause issue without opening the door panel?
If the answer is yes, then you don't have to open it.
Otherwise, you know what to do.

Are you missing the end clip? It is pretty much impossible for that rod to come off with that clip installed. It has a double eyelet and a snap on section. You insert the rod through the clip and hole in your latch simultaneously and then flip the clip part over and snap it onto the rod itself. I have attached a picture. If anyone knows the correct name for this style of clip I'd appreciate knowing it. This clip is somewhere on every GM muscle car I have owned (choke, door lock like in this post, etc.) yet I don't know the exact name.

Attachments

• Clip.JPG
    Clip.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looked for a video showing the backsdie of the drivers door outside panel but had no luck.

Back