Donaldson bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what the Donaldson spin on bypass filters are like. They're cheap enough and the mounts use 3/8 NPT threads. Replacements are around $13 plus handling.

Allegedly OEM on some Cummins??

The search feature yielded nothing on this.

cheap enough not bad either

Gary,
I doubt if they would be OEM on a Cummins, as Cummins owns Fleetguard, but you never know...
dunno.gif

Rick.

Well, let me restate that ..this apparently replaces an OEM bypass Cummins filter/installation.

Otherwise I'd find it really curious why it's listed as "Cummins bypass"

The point that I'm making ...more importantly ..is that this is a, relatively cheap, stand alone bypass filter set up that actually has the spin-on filter that seems to be preferred to the, all too frequent-but less expensive, TP changes in some other bypass filter setups.

There are no magic filters. The better the filter cleans oil and the smaller the filter the more often it needs to be changed.
Cummins Fleetguards best bypass filter is the LF-750. It should take a Dodge Cummins 30,000 miles between filter changes when equipped with a submicronic bypass filter element that is two rolls of Kleenex VIVA and three rolls of Scott TP. You can't compare a filter that is non submicronic to a filter like TP that is submicronic. When I get thru rolling an element for the Fleetguard housing it is about 7 1/2 by 15" long. The only way you can get away with changing a filter less often than TP if the filter is bigger or doesn't clean oil as well or you are willing to accept a higher wear rate. You have to use your head and be street wise. The large elements for these big filters are mostly shredded newspapers. They are no match for TP except they have about 15 times more capacity. It takes about 4 gallons of make up oil at filter change.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Oh ..Ralph, I agree. This is not to say that this is a superior bypass filter ..just a spin on that is perhaps on par with the Amsoil setup ..but far cheaper in terms of replacement elements.

Filter makers have learned that most people could care less about filters. All of the filters that come close to cleaning oil have been either discontinued or not promoted. The big truck filters like the Fleetguard, Luber-Finers, and Wix 750s you don't see anymore except on construction equipment. I did see a new Peterbilt come into the yard with a big chrome plated 750 with Peterbilt engraved in the lid. They are rare.
I got the big Cummins Fleetguard installed on the yard mule Sunday. I rolled an element with two rolls of Kleenex Viva and three rolls of Scott TP.
I reached into the core with a sharpened screw driver and punched the core. I'm not sure what the micron rating is on the Fleetguard LF-750A. I know that TP is submicronic.

"Title: Don't Bypass Bypass Filters

Author: Gelinas, Tom

Journal: Fleet Equipment Vol: 14 Iss: 7 Date: Jul 1988 pp. 39-41

Abstract:
According to some estimates, 60% of the potential causes of engine wear and failure can be eliminated by a well-designed and properly applied filtration system. Cummins Engine Co. recommends that both a bypass filter and a full-flow filter be used. A bypass filter shunts 10% of the total oil pump output through a filter and then back to the sump, bypassing the engine. Because this filter has high-pressure differential and low flow rate, it can filter out fine particles in the 5-micron range. In contrast, a full-flow filter has a low-pressure differential and filters out only large particles in the 40 micron to 60 micron range. However, the full-flow filter is located so that all of the oil must flow through it before reaching the bearings. The combination of these 2 filter types gives double protection against wear. Studies at the Cummins Technical Center indicate that wear can be reduced up to 91% by using a bypass filter in combination with a full-flow filter."

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back