Does your lawn guy mow when it's too wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as some of you know I own a lawn care business and in Houston it's been raining like crazy for the whole month of september. I actually didn't mow for a whole week, but it's getting ridiculous. Honestly I haven't had to deal with this issue for some time and I'm about ready to say oh well and start mowing them wet or not. The mud tracks will wash out the next time it rains. So for those of you who hire a lawn service, what would you prefer them to do? Just let it get ridiculously long and cut it when it dries or are you okay with a few muddy tire tracks here and there? The customers understand for the most part, but I'm the one who pays the price when I finally show up to a yard that's 1.5 weeks past due.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been a challenge this summer with all the rain we have had to cut it completely dry. I won't lie it was looking pretty shabby this season but only because every-time we were going to cut it, it would rain again.

I would think that the main problem with mowing wet grass is that you will have a lot of wet grass packed up under the mower deck. But just clean it out. I don't know if it would result in a poor cut on the lawn, that is uneven or choppy. That might matter for those folks who are persnickety about there lawns.

Last edited:
I cut my own grass. The landscapers here will cut the grass soaking wet and while it's raining.

The deck does my clog unless it's really tall. My concern is the muddy tire tracks. Basically the grass blades get pushed into the soil and come back up coated with black mud. Typically the mowers don't sink into the ground it just looks bad.

If my lawn service (I usually mow myself, but I've used them on occasion, vacations, illnesses, etc.) raked up the chunks and paths of thick wet cut grass- not the whole yard, mind you, just the areas of thick hay that would kill the grass underneath- I wouldn't complain a bit.

More work?

Think of it this way. Rain, you mow less often, work less hours. When you do cut, you make up some or all of that time raking up the cuttings. Because if you don't, they'll lay down so thick they'll kill the grass, the very thing that keeps you employed.

Our guy mows every Thursday, rain on shine. He does use push mower for part of yard. A lot of landscaping. I never notice ruts from his heavy zero turn Toro.

our service mows every Tuesday regardless of the conditions. wet, dry. even if the grass is dormant and needs nothing, they show up. I'm not worried about tire tracks, mud.

So if you came home from work to a bunch of muddy tire tracks in your yard, would you be [censored] off or would you just understand it's from all the rain?

I mow in the rain during spring. No other choice when its raining nearly everyday when we get a wet spring.

If I wait for a dry day then the grass gets too long and clogs.

I don't have the greatest mowers for tall grass.

Last edited:
Get off your zero turn and use a walk behind, they are lighter, less tracks, less slippage, less ripped grass from turning, less mud.

If the ground is saturated enough where you will create tracks it will just make a giant mess. If it is only slightly wet it isn't as big of a deal.

If I had a lawn service I'd want them to wait.

Lawn guy??? I wish....I am the lawn guy. Here in Oklahoma, Bermuda rules, but don't have rain problems. I know if you cut it wet, you will trash your yard because of our sandy loam soil and leave a lot of tracks and ruts. Then when it dries out, those ruts become permanent in the yard. Never cut wet here.

Yep, I cut my own grass also. The landscaping people still mow wet yards -- as long as it is not raining at the time "usually!" I could see mud tracks being a problem to some home owners though. Dam if you do -- dam if you dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back