Does running oversized tires endager tranny/axles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zorobabel

Actually the main reason I'm considering 205/70 is to improve ride quality. I may be wrong, but the taller sidewall and increased load rating would allow for reduced PSI.
The second reason would be for increased pothole forgiveness.
3rd reason is to minimize (in my mind again) the vibrations caused by the current rims, which don't turn true (probably from potholes).

Bumping up 5% on the aspect ratio is barely going oversize, as noted only 3%. I usually do this on trucks and SUVs when it's time for new tires for 2 reasons: a bit bigger tire looks better IMO, and I've found that the 3% almost exactly matches how far the speedo is off from the factory and end up right on. The Toyota and Silverado both read close to 3% high.

Your first 2 reasons are sound, the 3rd is a WAG. You won't hurt a thing and a 97 likely isn't going to have sensors that don't like it.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Originally Posted By: Claud
It seems a popular trend to stuff the biggest wheels and tires possible into the wheel arches of cars and particularly trucks that will fit. I see little to be gained from this, any advantages from better grip will be largely negated by more unsprung weight. Also ride quality will suffer, and greater loads are put on the suspension and steering components.
But if it's what you want to do, hey!, it's a free country.

Claud.

Actually the main reason I'm considering 205/70 is to improve ride quality. I may be wrong, but the taller sidewall and increased load rating would allow for reduced PSI.
The second reason would be for increased pothole forgiveness.
3rd reason is to minimize (in my mind again) the vibrations caused by the current rims, which don't turn true (probably from potholes).

Make sure you get some known smooth riding tires anyways though, in general a taller sidewall helps but different tire models vary alot in ride quality and everything else.

if the OP's rims are not true, slightly larger tires may actually worsen cabin vibrations since there will be more mass also now untrue.

that size increase shouldn't make any notable difference beyond the 3% already discussed.

Someone mentioned not understanding how a larger tire creates more stress - it's because the larger tire acts as a larger lever against the axle, brakes and drivetrain. Road forces will have greater torque against bearings, ball joints, steering. That's why large truck tires snap axles OR.

This case, however, won't be enough to risk any more damage than just driving more aggressively.

-mike

None of my trannies have had issues with the rubbers I was using

21.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
None of my trannies have had issues with the rubbers I was using

21.gif

At least you're being responsible....

If the offset of the wheel isn't too much different from the originals, there isn't too much of a risk of stressing out the wheel end components(hub and brakes).

The real danger is tire clearance, suspension travel and speedo/ABS function.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Apparently a common cause of problems on the Suzuki Vitara here, which is often fitted with oversize tyres for cosmetic reasons.

What are the problems that result?

I believe excess wear on the final driveshafts (because the angles are increased. This wouldn't be a problem with live axles but I suppose it could affect the propshaft) wheel bearings, swuspension and steering components.

I've never had one, though. Just what I heard.

Discussed here. The "vendetta" referred to was an unusually protracted police crack-down on "lifted" vehicles, allegedly because some politicians relative was hit by one.

ALL vehicular modifications, of any kind, are illegal in Taiwan.

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/what-do-you-think-of-old-escudo/54495

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Apparently a common cause of problems on the Suzuki Vitara here, which is often fitted with oversize tyres for cosmetic reasons.

What are the problems that result?

I believe excess wear on the final driveshafts (because the angles are increased. This wouldn't be a problem with live axles but I suppose it could affect the propshaft) wheel bearings, swuspension and steering components.

I've never had one, though. Just what I heard.

Oversized tires shouldn't affect driveshaft angles, though a lift kit would.

On the rest, though, I can see that. Any lateral force acting on the tire through the contact patch would have more leverage with a taller tire, so I can see that messing things up faster.

So... I guess I have to retract some of what I said earlier! Thanks for the correction.

Going up to that size will cause very minimal wear on bearings-breaks etc, I wouldn’t even worry about it . But the one thing no one has mentioned is to make sure the larger tire has enough clearance from the lower spring perch on the strut .

Thank you all for the replies!

@Colvin This generation Maxima is considered to have too big wheel arches by ricers, so they lower it and put wide low profile tires on it. I might be the first guy to try this tire size on a 4th gen Maxima, but I believe it will fit fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back