Does oil brand matter if it meets specs, or your use?

For track use, I'd say cost should be the least of someone's metrics for choosing an oil.
racing means money. if you want to go faster you spend more money.
F1 is the best example of that on earth.

side note. ON most Cummins diesel engines in the specs they say 280F is the maximum Allowable Oil Temp so I'd say those race cars are right on the edge.

As long as it meets the specifications of the vehicle in question, and meets API scrutiny, IMO, it's fine.
At that point, it all comes down to the low bid.
What API scrutiny? Cert is sorta like:
Teacher leaves room during the midterm test says "dont cheat" comes back an hour later and collects papers. Grades them P or F. Post results on cork-under-glass bulletin board in the hall.
Everyone passes except the stoner. BC wrong room. LOL.

What API scrutiny? Cert is sorta like:
Teacher leaves room during the midterm test says "dont cheat" comes back an hour later and collects papers. Grades them P or F. Post results on cork-under-glass bulletin board in the hall.
Everyone passes except the stoner. BC wrong room. LOL.
The API does do post-licensing tests on oils.

The API does do post-licensing tests on oils.
What % of submittals are sampled? I would guess less than 1% with a focus on suspect actors.

Ashland (Valvoline) had called out XOM as being in non-compliance (Nov 2008)
during the "Our oil is better than your oil" wars.

But, practically speaking, I do not recall a Major being out of compliance in basic viscometrics and DP dosing across many samples run PQIA

Last edited:
It isn't BITOG without someone mentioning, .... what's in the oil that matters.

HPL for example, may not have the certifications the auto manufacturers want you to you, but it doesn't make it a bad oil. People use HPL because what's in the oil that matters more.

Another case in point, TGMO 0w-16 vs Mobil 1 AFE 0w16. Both made by Exxon-Mobil, both have API SP licensing/certification... so there's no difference, right?

It isn't BITOG without someone mentioning, .... what's in the oil that matters.

HPL for example, may not have the certifications the auto manufacturers want you to you, but it doesn't make it a bad oil. People use HPL because what's in the oil that matters more.

Another case in point, TGMO 0w-16 vs Mobil 1 AFE 0w16. Both made by Exxon-Mobil, both have API SP licensing/certification... so there's no difference, right?

I look at it this way.... might be differences, in proportions of chemicals between various competitors, but if the difference makes so difference in performance then why does it matter..? Basically you really can't tell , not unless you have hundreds if not thousands of examples tested in end use.. testing them chemically and making a judgement based on that seems counterintuitive to me.

Back