Does octane booster work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Bad thing is E85 can legally be "E51 to E83". Pretty sure this would screw up a performance tune based on E85 percentage.

Here in Iowa, the law says it must be E70 or above...

Originally Posted By: mooferz
The most effective commonly available octane booster is probably MMT, but it leaves unwanted deposits and is only legal for off-road use, so should typically be avoided.
The most cost effective octane booster is a few gallons of E85 in the tank.

I was stupid enough to put a bottle of STP octane booster in my tank and then found that it contained MMT...huge mistake that I'll never make again.

Have used the combination Injector Cleaner / Octane booster available at most auto parts stores here in Australia. On my car (which can be counted on to ping under certain conditions), it negated the issue quite a bit.

Obviously the cost of this additive is such that using it for any length of time would quickly equal the price of a new knock sensor. So don't bother using it as a band-aid solution.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Bulk cans of Acetone or Xylene make a good octane booster.
I use to use Lacquer thinner that was 50/50 toluene and xylene. A gallon per tank would do the trick.

I had a 1979 Mustang 4 cylinder that pinged like crazy on 87 at the time. A 100 ml of benzene in the tank would fix that in a hurry. I had easy access to it but it's kind of dangerous in California. Lucky for me they came out with E10 gas about then and it fixed the issue.

I've recently had some positive results with Liqui Moly Octane Plus in my turbocharged Audi. It's not cheap and can be difficult to find(especially @ a good price). But it's still less expensive than racing fuel...perfect for the thin wallet, grass-roots enthusiast.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: mooferz
The most effective commonly available octane booster is probably MMT, but it leaves unwanted deposits and is only legal for off-road use, so should typically be avoided.
The most cost effective octane booster is a few gallons of E85 in the tank.

I was stupid enough to put a bottle of STP octane booster in my tank and then found that it contained MMT...huge mistake that I'll never make again.

I have a Nissan 370z and live in California, where the highest grade of gas available is 91 octane. I bought a bottle of Lucas octane booster which also contains MMT. I have not yet tried it. Based upon the comments above, what kind of "unwanted deposits" am I going to get out of one tankful and what kind of "huge mistake" are you talking about ?

Most octane boosters only increase your octane by 3 points, which is .3 octane numbers (from 87 --> 87.3 for example)

There is a NOS brand octane booster which claims to increase octane by 30 points, or three full octane numbers (87 --> 90, for example), but it's about $10 at Walmart, and it probably has a lot of MMT

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I noticed the online reviews for it weren't very good plus it was $3.88 or so compared to the Gumout Octane Booster on sale at WM for $2.24 with good reviews. Normal price of $2.88 or so. Not sure if I'd get it again or not.

Very good post slacktide. Royal Purple max boost claims 30 points or 3 whole numbers as well. The MMT could or likely could leave deposits on the spark plugs. Usually an orange color as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back