Does Fuel Injector cleaners cause worse MPG during initial fill?

Currently own a MK7 GTI with direct injection, bought the car pre-owned at 34k miles and it seems like the prior leaseholder took it in for every scheduled visit. I've only ran fuel injection cleaner through a tank twice now and I'm at 56k miles. Just recently filled up with some Gumout Regane, I don't know if it's the winter gas blend or the regane causing some worse than normal mileage.

I'm just curious if anyone else experiences the same when using an injector cleaner.

are you tracking the tank mpg using an app like Fuelly? Or are use manually tracking using excel spreadsheet?

Because you're really not providing any detail to your "observation"

are you tracking the tank mpg using an app like Fuelly? Or are use manually tracking using excel spreadsheet?

Because you're really not providing any detail to your "observation"
I admit, I'm being lazy and I'm using the MPG readout on the car. But I'm due for a fill up soon, I'll hand calculate and see if there is any major difference

I hand calculate every tank as well as follow the dash indicator, have noticed my CRV mileage has dropped about 10% with the winter gas we seem to be getting, using mostly Shell 87, sometimes Exxon 87. It's also generally colder too, nighttime temps in the mid/upper 20's, I'm sure that's having an effect. Since I use Toptier exclusively, haven't used any cleaning additives, back pre 2015, with my previous Honda Civics, I used a bottle of Techron before each oil change at 5k, never noticed any drop in mpg.

Last edited:
I live in Jersey City now, so it's all stop and go. Rarely go on the highway for anything, so I measure it by my tank to empty, usually I'll grab like 220 to the tank driving around in the city.

It's probably related to winter blend. Also, since it is slightly colder, do you let your car warm-up a little longer now than you did in the warmer months? If so, then that would account for some of the MPG. And lastly - if I "overdose" (double or triple the recommended dosage) my fuel with Lucas UCL or Marvel Mystery oil, then I do see an MPG drop. Experienced that trend on at least 5 vehicles so far. All MPG hand calculated at pump.

Back