Does a 1948-1952 Allis Chamlers WD have a positive displacement oil pump?

Someone in my family is acquiring a late '40s to '50s Allis Chamlers WD. Looking at it, the previous owner used the name brand Allis Chamlers oil filter which was apparently at the time made by Wix during the Affina era. When it comes time for that person to change the oil, I was wondering if the engine had the positive displacement oil pump rendering resistance a non issue.

Also, what oils are typically used in antique tractors like this, what fluids would need to be replaced in it and with what, and could a modern power take off mower be used or would it need to stay vintage?

It will have a standard (PD) oil pump. This would have originally been specified a straight 30 weight for normal temps. Any modern 30 or 40 weight multi-grade oil will be light years better than what was available back then. As for the transmission, Napa sells a GL1 type gear oil that will for sure be safe for any possible yellow metals that might be in there. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NHF65201.

You can use these with modern attachments like a brush hog, though probably best to keep it to 5 feet or under mowers as these aren't huge machines.

Last edited:
If it has an Allis Chalmers filter on it it hasn't been changed in a day or 14600.
I was an Allis Chalmers mechanic in the 1970's and 1980's. Still remember the Allis filter # for them-240912

Used to come with a pencil shaped piece of wood in the filter. I would take a few of them and give them a coating of paint. Then run them into a pencil sharpener. Then use a pencil to draw the lead point. Looked like a small pencil. Lay a few around and watch people try to write with them. :p

Thank you everyone, I will pass this along. It certainly has some deferred maintenance as it has been sitting for 3 years which isn't surprising (though I am positive the oil filter has been changed since AC was bought out as Affinia got Wix around '04 and he wouldn't have neglected his equipment in his prime years). They have had to clean out mud dauber nests out of the air cleaner, work on getting the carburetor fixed, new battery, may need new wiring (and yes it was converted to 12 volts a long time ago). It's going to be a labor of love. The new owner hasn't figured out yet what he's going to do with it yet we're brainstorming on how it could be used as he has to have a purpose in his mind (other thoughts include a small power take off generator, using for parades (though it is showing all 70+ years of it's use in hard work)). If he gets a mower it will NOT be very large.

The good news is he's not completely new to these tractors as he used this exact one along with a few others growing up plus he owned one at one point but it's been decades since he's had to do anything with them and just needs some refreshers on fixing and maintenance (I'm just trying to help him out where I can).

Does it have the tricycle front wheel? If you drive over rough ground or the front wheels drop into a hole it can break your arm or wrist. We owned one and you have to be very careful. If it has the wide front end no problem.

Does it have the tricycle front wheel? If you drive over rough ground or the front wheels drop into a hole it can break your arm or wrist. We owned one and you have to be very careful. If it has the wide front end no problem.
The best thing to do was to watch for uneven ground, then take your hands off the wheel when you run over the rough area. If the wheel had a wheel spinner knob, you'd better not let it hit you or you're going to be sore.

It did when it was new; however, it was been modified to a wide front end many decades ago (If I remember correctly with an aftermarket part). Back in the day, I drove it along with a narrow front end WD, and a WD-45 also with a aftermarket wide front end modification and I know what you're talking about. I never much cared for the narrow front end version. I'm glad he didn't get that one.

WWilson, I thank you for the reminder on that one. They trained me on that many decades ago And I apparently forgot about it (And yes all three of them have spinners on the steering wheel). Remind me, That method of letting go of the steering wheel prior to bumps was exclusive to the narrow front end version correct? I don't remember for sure if we did that on the wide front end versions but I'm pretty sure we did that with the narrow front end version. I'll be sure to pass this along the new owners just in case they forgot. The one that got the narrow front end one specifically wanted that one for some reason so he probably already remembers this but all be sure to remind him.

No, the wide front works better for row crop. You can drive a narrow front down 30" rows, but you'd better stay in the center.
Then what's the point of the narrow front end? It just makes it easier to tip over, it seems to me. I've hardly ever seen any out here on the left coast.

Then what's the point of the narrow front end? It just makes it easier to tip over, it seems to me. I've hardly ever seen any out here on the left coast.
Because narrow fronts were first and much more widely used until the wide front took over in the 60s.

Back before 3 point and PTO was common all the implements were mounted to the front of the tractor. Early wide fronts had a ton of bracing or were cast so there was no way to make the front end arched up so not easy to put front mount implements on.

I was an Allis Chalmers mechanic in the 1970's and 1980's. Still remember the Allis filter # for them-240912

Used to come with a pencil shaped piece of wood in the filter. I would take a few of them and give them a coating of paint. Then run them into a pencil sharpener. Then use a pencil to draw the lead point. Looked like a small pencil. Lay a few around and watch people try to write with them. :p
My case uses the same style filter! Bypass filter only. Mine likes real thick oil. I'm sure the mains and rods are worn to the copper. I see about 16 psi with sae 40 and a bottle of stp.

Here ya go.

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_191436417.jpg
    IMG_20231003_191436417.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 9
I can't ask the original owner anymore but the expert says he used it for cultivating. ( if I remember correctly, Those were mounted between the front and rear wheels.) The expert also said that he kept it narrow on that one because of the grader blade as it was more maneuverable and easier to turn.

Back