Dodge NV 4500 5 spd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mem

Lot of controversy on what type of lube to use in this trans from what I've read so far. Owners manual calls for Mopar GL 4 synthetic oil which is made by Castrol and its called Syntorque. Its difficult to come by unless you buy it from the Mopar dealer or your Chevy dealer (its the same stuff) and at $27 and $35 a quart respectively that ain't gonna happen. I've read that Mopar & GM holds the rights to this oil and that's why its harder to obtain.

Like I've already said lots of controversy. There's a few GL 4 syn oils out there but you read someone used this in there trans and it ran fine somebody else says they used it in there trans and they scattered their trans by using it. I've kind of narrowed the search to either Redline or Amsoil. What say you?

Mark

Last edited:
I have used redline in a number of manual transmissions, with excellent success. I cannot speak to the NV 4500, but the MT90 is the best thing that ever happened to synchros, and it came out looking almost as new, from my Tacoma tranny, after 90k miles, half of it towing.

I won't buy Amsoil products, so I cannot speak to how well it performs.

MT-90. No sulfur, ester based. Probably 50k fill under any conditions. I used T6 rotella, but only because I had it laying around. And my tranny won't see any severe service being a jeep. Dealer lubes and things are lowest bidder, so don't hurry to spend a fortune on "good enough" lube.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I have used redline in a number of manual transmissions, with excellent success. I cannot speak to the NV 4500, but the MT90 is the best thing that ever happened to synchros, and it came out looking almost as new, from my Tacoma tranny, after 90k miles, half of it towing.

I won't buy Amsoil products, so I cannot speak to how well it performs.

Thanks for the replys. What is your reason for not wanting to buy Amsoil? Thinking that I read if I was to use Redline to use the MG over the MT lube but I could be wrong, thanks again.

Mark

Redline MT85, MT90, and Amsoil MTG, Ford GL4 75w90 are options.

Hyundai and Nissan 75w85 GL4 are too.

Non OE fluids require more frequent non OE intervals.

The shop that does a lot of rebuilds on NV4500 and gets a lot of love on the Cummins turbodiesel website, Standard Transmission of Texas, used to recommend Syntorq and nothing but. Now they recommend AMSoil MTG. I put MTG in my NV4500 this summer, but sometimes get hard shifting. I have run Syntorq, RP, and MTG in it and liked the shifting feel of Syntorq the best.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The shop that does a lot of rebuilds on NV4500 and gets a lot of love on the Cummins turbodiesel website, Standard Transmission of Texas, used to recommend Syntorq and nothing but. Now they recommend AMSoil MTG. I put MTG in my NV4500 this summer, but sometimes get hard shifting. I have run Syntorq, RP, and MTG in it and liked the shifting feel of Syntorq the best.

I have run across Standard trans in my search's and as you have just said about preferring Syntorque over the others seems to be a pretty common statement. I probably won't change the oil until warmer weather so I'll keep looking, I couldn't find any dealers around me that carried Syntorque. Thanks all for your comments.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back