Dodge Hemi Lifter/Cam failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PumpPusher
Originally Posted by GMguy84
What a shame was REALLY interested in a 2011+ Hemi police pkg as a future daily. But heard/read nothing but bad things about the "hemi cam lifter issues" and most of the surplus auctions have them listed as "engine issues"

Dave

Texas Highway Patrol stopped ordering Chargers because of this issue. They are seeing issues at 100k.

Ya seen tons of those THP units being dumped online at DPS HQ in Austin lol Indiana state police are the ONLY agency with Chargers that I have seen with 200K miles ! Have to find out some day what's their secret ?? lol

Funny enough CHP ( California highway patrol) ordered like 2500 3.6 V6 current model charger's to replace their crown vics'. Apparently the HEMI Chargers where a few hundred lbs GVW past the limit for a CHP patrol car ??

On a side note they also declared the Explorer interceptors a failure and switching to Tahoe's

Source: CHP forum with active officers

Dave

PumpPusher said:
GMguy84 said:
What a shame was REALLY interested in a 2011+ Hemi police pkg as a future daily. But heard/read nothing but bad things about the "hemi cam lifter issues" and most of the surplus auctions have them listed as "engine issues"

On a side note they also declared the Explorer interceptors a failure and switching to Tahoe's

Dave

Starting to see some smaller agencies in South Florida getting a sprinkling of Tahoe's.

So, if it is a valve float issue, then engines not being reved high should be ok as valve float only occurs at high rpm's, right? If that is indeed the case, I almost want to buy aftermarket valve springs for my truck and get them installed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
So, if it is a valve float issue, then engines not being reved high should be ok as valve float only occurs at high rpm's, right? If that is indeed the case, I almost want to buy aftermarket valve springs for my truck and get them installed.

I'd assume the SRT springs would be drop-ins
21.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

21.gif

Yes, I would assume they would be. How much different could they be?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

21.gif

Yes, I would assume they would be. How much different could they be?

Quoting myself from another thread:

- All the non-SRT V8's share the same valve springs, part # 68080909AB
- All the V8's with MDS share the same lifters, part # 5038788AC
- The 6.4L truck engine has its own cam, part # 5045517AC
- The 6.4L SRT engine has its own cam, part # 5038419AB
- The 6.4L SRT engine uses valve spring part # 5037382BC which is also spec'd for "Police" optioned Chargers as well as the 6.2L HellKitty engine.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
PumpPusher said:
GMguy84 said:

Dave

Starting to see some smaller agencies in South Florida getting a sprinkling of Tahoe's.

We have Tahoes being used by multiple agencies around here. The officers/deputies/troopers complain about how they are underpowered and have major brake fade, they don't like getting into high speed pursuits in them and let the Chargers go after the runners.

The Ram 5.7 cam and lifter failures I've read of the last year or so were mostly on higher mileage trucks.

There's a new post on a Ram forum I follow of a 2013 Ram 1500 hemi owner with 153K miles on his truck, having the cam/lifter work done to the tune of ~$3600 at a Ram dealer. He had a warranty through his credit union. so it's only costing him his $100 deductible. Claims to have done M1 oil changes every 3000mi as well.

I guess my point is, what domestic truck made beyond ~2010 or so is not going to have some expensive issue by 150K miles. They're not built to that standard IMO.

Last edited:
At the dealer I work at most of the failures are vehicle with extended idle hrs like police and older people.Also SRTs use 0w40 oil that might be a factor also.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by pro451bee
At the dealer I work at most of the failures are vehicle with extended idle hrs like police and older people.Also SRTs use 0w40 oil that might be a factor also

The 6.4L truck engine, that also specs 0w-40, has experienced the issue.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

The v6 will also eat a cam lobe, but that's usually caused by the rocker failing. If you catch it early enough, it's hard to miss a loud tapping noise, you can replace the rockers without removing the camshafts.

Yeah there's a cool tool to let you do that. The spacings in my Mazda6 do not allow for use of such a labour-saving fixture....:( .

20180922_160649_zpsn1rw2ec6.jpg

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
PumpPusher said:
GMguy84 said:

Dave

Bigger agencies in my parts too. Seen quite a few BSO, Hollywood, and FHP Tahoe's. Word on the street is LEOs love them as much as they did the 9C1 Caprices. Especially K9 officers (dog and human both).

Dave

Texas Highway Patrol stopped ordering Chargers because of this issue. They are seeing issues at 100k.

Same with the county here. Couldnt keep engines in them so are ordering Explorers now.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws

Dave

Same with the county here. Couldnt keep engines in them so are ordering Explorers now.

Most of our local LEO Chargers are V6's, so we still have a ton of them with a few Explorers sprinkled in. OPP seemed to be getting into the Tahoe but now I see mostly Explorer and Taurus.

I would love to see a breakdown of 5.7l hemi rams sold by year for 2009, 10, 11, and 12. I would also love to see a breakdown of 5.7l hemi rams that have this particular failure by year model to this point. I know that's not going to happen, but it would be nice to have an actual percentage. I would almost be willing to bet that overall, it is a small percentage.
Things like this are real problems that need addressed, but the internet and forums in general blow things like this way out of proportion, well, unless you're talking about a Chrysler 2.7l, then you better believe every bit of it! Lol

Dave

I heard rumor that we're getting Durango's instead of Chargers. I'm sure they'll start ticking just like some of the Chargers are.

Originally Posted by ctechbob

Dave

I heard rumor that we're getting Durango's instead of Chargers. I'm sure they'll start ticking just like some of the Chargers are.

If it's a hemi, it will. My 2011 had the seemingly mandatory broken exhaust manifold studs. Wonder if they FINALLY fixed the 5.7 water pump issue.

LOL, Oh ya the new Durango police pursuit pkg lol

With the bad stigma of the Chargers, I doubt many depts will even touch those ??

Shame GM doesn't make a mid size suv PPV like the new Blazer. NOW that will be one bad motha looking cop car lol

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of a lifter from one of our patrol 2011 Charger's w/ the 5.7. Happened last year and mileage was less than 100k. 3k oil changes but unsure of what brand/viscosity oil was used at our shop. Thus far it is the only one that has developed this issue.

[Linked Image]

I'm guessing this is a lot like the infamous "Pentastar head failures" of a few years back. It's blown way out of proportion by a dozen of internet forums. The fact was, <1% were affected. 1% of a million is still a significant number, but that means 99% won't have a failure. I'm on my 4th Pentastar, and 3rd 5.7 Hemi. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back