Dodge Durango R/T 5.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't feed the trolls.

FermeLaPorte drops into threads every now and again to sprinkle turds and checks out. He'll never reply, and if he does it won't satisfy.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Don't feed the trolls. FermeLaPorte drops into threads every now and again to sprinkle turds and checks out. He'll never reply, and if he does it won't satisfy.

Did not realize that. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Chrysler Fiat is a nightmare.

So how many FCA products have you owned or are you just parroting what you have read somewhere? I have had many GM products over the years and finally gave up on them primarily due to multiple major transmission issues. Lots of GM trucks and lots of trouble. Had a 2001 Ram that gave me 14 years of trouble free service. My experience with Nissan just as bad. The Xterra I had was truly a nightmare vehicle. Oh look, you drive a GM product and a Nissan. I wish you luck.

I had 4 Dodge 47RE transmissions fail on me....2001 & 2003 Ram CTD 2500's. The 47RE in the '03 left me stranded 3 different times with a loaded trailer. This was because the hack technicians at Longhorn Dodge NOT because it was a Dodge, Still puts a sour taste in your mouth nonetheless? Just like your GM experience. It is ironic that I build transmissions & had such bad luck with them in Dodges that I bought brand new.

The 46RE in your Dodge doesn't have any better a track record than a GM 4L60E. Luck of the draw I guess as I've had really good service out of the 4L60E's that I've owned.

With that said....The ZF units & the NAG-1 have been REALLY good....Heck even the 545RFE used in the early Hemi trucks is a good unit!

Guys thanx for pitching in. We went today to check size of Audi Q7 (2015 previous generation) and it seems it will do it for us.
I am German fan, so that will probably carry the day. Wife likes it, I know that S-line V6 Supercharger with 333hp and 325lb-ft pack a bit of a punch, just enough to merge fast since it is 5,350lb beast. Also, I am thinking since it is compressor it will retain more hp and lb-ft on high altitude.
But, keeping Durango as second option just in case.
Quattro Pete, how is your 3.0T behaving in that Q5?

Listen to FemmaLaPorta and pick up a versa
lol.gif
Greatest car ever unless you have to drive it.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Listen to FemmaLaPorta and pick up a versa
lol.gif
Greatest car ever unless you have to drive it.

LOL best advice I can give about a Versa is to buy something decent used instead of one of those. I couldn't imagine myself in one of those things for 5 years or however long the average car or lease pymt is nowadays.

I have driven the Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 engine and it seems to have enough power for it. I had a 5.7 in my Challenger and liked it too; it got good gas mileage and had a lot of power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
It's a great powerplant - refined, quiet, and reasonably powerful. It suits the Q5 much better than the 2.0T engine, IMO.

The "D" mode trans programming is a bit too sedate for my liking, but it really comes to life in "S" mode.

It has been trouble free for us, knock on wood.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's a great powerplant - refined, quiet, and reasonably powerful. It suits the Q5 much better than the 2.0T engine, IMO.

The "D" mode trans programming is a bit too sedate for my liking, but it really comes to life in "S" mode.

It has been trouble free for us, knock on wood.

Thanx, I am probably going with Q7 S-Line with 333hp. Later after CPO expires I might do APR stage II, but will see.
One thing I like about that Q7 hood and that engine is space, it seems it should be easy access to work on it.

Update guys:
So we ended up driving Audi Q7 S-Line Prestige (2015). We think it will serve our needs when it comes to cargo volume and size in general. It drives much smaller then it is, it is pretty quick on the feet though it does not feel like BMW X5, but it is pretty close to disregard that and look advantages to BMW (space). Torque is there, though bit higher then I expected, but it is fine. I am expecting that Audi would be easier to live with then BMW since it is gas and does not have SCR. Wife liked it, said OK.
Then we see MB dealership and we go to check used GL. Great space, wife is did not like size and said: you drive it, I will not. That is a bus (yeah, actually it does look like one). GL450 (V6 bi-turbo) that they had (2016) was parked behind other cars in garage, so we get new GLS450 to try it just to get a feel how car drives (it is updated compared to 2016 with 9G tranny instead of 7G and more up to date interior and infotainment system). First thing I noticed actually that V6 packs a punch. It has 369lb-ft at I think 1750. It moved that bus like nothing. It is softer then Audi and especially compared to BMW but it is fine. Much bigger vehicle and actual third row seating. Then wife after I tried it decided she will drive it. Actually she liked it and came to the conclusion that it is not as cumbersome as it seems.
So we are now between these two cars.
Anyone has any experiences with these GL's 2013 and after? Any info would be useful on MB V6 turbo and &G tranny. I think it would be easier to live on a day to day basis with Audi, but GL would definiately solve our issues with space.
Any comments, suggestions are welcomed!

First thing I noticed actually that V6 packs a punch. It has 369lb-ft at I think 1750. It moved that bus like nothing. It is softer then Audi and especially compared to BMW but it is fine. Much bigger vehicle and actual third row seating. Then wife after I tried it decided she will drive it. Actually she liked it and came to the conclusion that it is not as cumbersome as it seems.
Anyone has any experiences with these GL's 2013 and after? Any info would be useful on MB V6 turbo and &G tranny. I think it would be easier to live on a day to day basis with Audi, but GL would definiately solve our issues with space.

Don't know much about those 2 vehicles but can offer this advice:

If you liked the power of the MB better than go for that. IMHO you can never have too much power and you'll never say "I want LESS power".
smile.gif

Since space is the reason you are upgrading and the MB has more of that and you like the way it drives, then go for that. You'll never say "I wish we had LESS space".

It all comes down to what the primary driver likes best though.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
First thing I noticed actually that V6 packs a punch. It has 369lb-ft at I think 1750. It moved that bus like nothing. It is softer then Audi and especially compared to BMW but it is fine. Much bigger vehicle and actual third row seating. Then wife after I tried it decided she will drive it. Actually she liked it and came to the conclusion that it is not as cumbersome as it seems.

Don't know much about those 2 vehicles but can offer this advice:

If you liked the power of the MB better than go for that. IMHO you can never have too much power and you'll never say "I want LESS power".
smile.gif

Since space is the reason you are upgrading and the MB has more of that and you like the way it drives, then go for that. You'll never say "I wish we had LESS space".

It all comes down to what the primary driver likes best though.

Yes, there is never too much power.

Take a look at the Hyundi Sante Fe SE/Ultimate. Not the Sport version.

The Lambda 3.3L V6 is quite impressive. FWD or AWD is your choice.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

I think KIA/Hyundai are OK cars, but I am not sure they stack up against Audi or MB, all things considered.
I was maybe willing to get Pilot due to reliability and some other stuff, but seating position is simply horrid. I just made 5k road trip, and while Pilot is much bigger vehicle then my BMW it does not compare in any way when it comes to driver comfort. I was ready to buy myself that sticker that says: Used to be cool, but figured out I am kidding myself. So unless that Hyundai/KIA has 3.3 turbo in it, I am avoiding it. Plus, as far as I remember Santa FE is same size as X5.

Last edited:
Just wait a bit longer and get the X7!

I've looked at the Q7 and GL, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I've seen more good deals with Q7's.

Last edited:

I think KIA/Hyundai are OK cars, but I am not sure they stack up against Audi or MB, all things considered.
I was maybe willing to get Pilot due to reliability and some other stuff, but seating position is simply horrid. I just made 5k road trip, and while Pilot is much bigger vehicle then my BMW it does not compare in any way when it comes to driver comfort. I was ready to buy myself that sticker that says: Used to be cool, but figured out I am kidding myself. So unless that Hyundai/KIA has 3.3 turbo in it, I am avoiding it. Plus, as far as I remember Santa FE is same size as X5.

Well, you never know until you drive it as I found out with mine. I am thoroughly impressed with mine.

No need for a turbo on the 3.3L V6 IMO. Not worth the maintenance hassle.

Good luck with your hunt.

Last edited:

Well, you never know until you drive it as I found out with mine. I am thoroughly impressed with mine.

I owned turbo engines for last 20 years so I am not sure why you think they need some extra maintenance?

I owned turbo engines for last 20 years so I am not sure why you think they need some extra maintenance?

Mainly LSPI concerns.

Quote:
Mainly LSPI concerns.

Euro cars do not have those issues.

Oh ok, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back