Do you try to book on widebodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I are going to San Juan Thursday and will board a cruise from there Saturday.
For price versus value as well as time in transit and arrival time, an A330 from PHL seemed like the best deal.
CRJ 700 DAY>PHL then an A333 PHL>SJU. The same on return in reverse.
The fare was quite reasonable even considering the extra $$ we had to pay to sit in the two seat window side of the aircraft.
Between a two aisle aircraft and a single aisle, the choice seems obvious when a big boy is available.
What do you think?

Since I fly internationally almost exclusively it will always be a widebody, usually a 788 or 789 these days.

Seat selection is key. On a long flight we prefer to not be disturbed. That's why we always select middle aisle seats on the end. That way we don't have to worry about another person who wants to get up.

The windows are big enough on the Dreamliner so we can still see while taking off and landing

The last plane I flew on was a Embraer something. It had 2 seats on 1 side and 1 seat on the other. Very cramped.

It really depends on how big/small you are. I'm 6'3" so I fly on the largest plane available with the most legroom if at all possible when flying domestic. Internationally most of the planes are wide bodies.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The last plane I flew on was a Embraer something. It had 2 seats on 1 side and 1 seat on the other. Very cramped.

We like these little Embraers as well as the CRJs. We flew on an E-145 a couple of weeks ago.
No middle seats.
The ERJs do seem pretty narrow but the bin space is ample.

I've never been on a widebody, however it's definitely on the bucket list. When I fly domestic, I actually prefer the smaller regional jet's especially up front.1-2 seating is prime.

As far as coach goes, the 2-3 seating in still preferable to 3-3 on the narrow bodies. That, and the thrill of an E190 or CRJ taking off is quite fun. They just have that little extra oomph.

Wide body? A friend was checking in his luggage and asked if he could have a window seat. The check in agent said sure, and your wife has one as well. He said " but we want to sit beside each other". The agent replied "you are".

It was a Beechcraft 1900. One Center Aisle and one row of seats on either side.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Wife and I are going to San Juan Thursday and will board a cruise from there Saturday.
For price versus value as well as time in transit and arrival time, an A330 from PHL seemed like the best deal.
CRJ 700 DAY>PHL then an A333 PHL>SJU. The same on return in reverse.
The fare was quite reasonable even considering the extra $$ we had to pay to sit in the two seat window side of the aircraft.
Between a two aisle aircraft and a single aisle, the choice seems obvious when a big boy is available.
What do you think?

I flew AA A333 last year PHL- CDG. I was actually surprised with seat comfort. 2 months before I flew DTW-FRA on LH 744 and new seats on LH were so hard and weird shaped that my back hurt for two days.
All i all, really positively surprised with AA 333.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
I've never been on a widebody, however it's definitely on the bucket list. When I fly domestic, I actually prefer the smaller regional jet's especially up front.1-2 seating is prime.

As far as coach goes, the 2-3 seating in still preferable to 3-3 on the narrow bodies. That, and the thrill of an E190 or CRJ taking off is quite fun. They just have that little extra oomph.

Too bad the 747's are phasing out. The amount of power on takeoff is incredible

Sure, Vancouver-Toronto, I try to get the 777 or the 787. Its a novelty and a giant PITA waiting for 450 others to get onboard, and the bags. Then the whole routine on the other end.

The amount of power on takeoff is incredible

Twins have much higher power to weight ratios because of engine out requirements. But even with the 747, they try to derate the takeoffs as much as possible to save on high pressure turbine wear.

I don't recall ever having a choice. It's rare to see widebodies on domestic flights.

If it's a red eye or a nighttime overseas flight by myself, I'll try to get a window on the left side of the plane. I'm a side sleeper and it's more comfortable, plus nobody to bother me.

Anything else, including overseas flights with the family, we will get the middle Row with me on an aisle.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I don't recall ever having a choice. It's rare to see widebodies on domestic flights.

I almost never fly. My last domestic flight (other than a test flight for work) was on a Northwest DC-10 from Memphis to Minneapolis in around 2002. I still remember looking at the data plate above the pax door when I went out - "Douglas Aircraft Co. - Long Beach, CA" - built in 1973. I thought that was pretty cool that there was a data plate right there above the pax door for everyone to see.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by Leo99

I almost never fly. My last domestic flight (other than a test flight for work) was on a Northwest DC-10 from Memphis to Minneapolis in around 2002. I still remember looking at the data plate above the pax door when I went out - "Douglas Aircraft Co. - Long Beach, CA" - built in 1973. I thought that was pretty cool that there was a data plate right there above the pax door for everyone to see.

I'm with you on that sentiment. Our youngest son is a Delta pilot, currently flying a Boeing 757. As parents, Ms. Sierra048 and I get free stand-by flying anywhere Delta flies. I'm still not interested in flying anywhere due to the hassle in airports and the fact that as I've aged sitting in a cramped position for any length of time becomes extremely painful. Ms. Sierra048 on the other hand takes advantage of that little perk as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back