Do you tell the dealer of "hidden" issues when trading in your car?

Dealer? Nope. Private sale? I'd let the buyer know about significant issues.

I didn't tell the dealer about the evap leak and the intermittent cam position error (the telltale sign of worn timing chains) on my Traverse when I traded it. I did have to tell them how to cover up the daylight sensor to get the failing odometer display to work again to read the mileage though. Couldn't hide that unless I traded it in at night. Fortunately the CEL stayed off during their test drive; I had filled the gas tank knowing that the evap test won't run while the tank is full, so no CEL for the evap leak. Crossed my fingers the timing chain code wouldn't show up on the way there or during their test drive. They could have easily plugged in a scan tool and found the lingering evap leak code and that the CEL had been cleared recently. I think they would have figured out from the evap leak code that it wasn't going to pass e-check without some repairs, which is why I was getting rid of it. Just so happened the timing chains were going to be a very expensive repair.

Last edited:
Last time I told the dealer who bought my 2017 Accord Sport everything.
Except there was nothing to tell cuz the car was only a year old.

Another time I figured they could see that big smashed in fender by themselves.

Yes, I tell them what I know.

Dealer, I tell them if they ask. Most don't.

Private sale, I disclose all big issues up front. Then nobody can say I misrepresented the condition.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Of course you don't tell them.

That way, when the dealer puts it out onto the lot and some sucker buys your undisclosed problems, they can come to BITOG and everyone can agree about how dealers are all scam artists.

Unfortunately this point falls on deaf ears. Considering this point was already addressed and very few have caught on.

If it is a private sale, my maintenance records go with the car and I answer all questions honestly. Dealer has always inspected my trade in and I have never been asked whats wrong with my car or truck.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by IndyIan
The same dealer took our 1989 Grand Caravan as a trade in, with its 3rd transmission just starting to fail, so what goes around, comes around...

Odds are that didn't impact the dealer at all, but the poor person who bought it.

Do you think the dealer was going to tell them anyways?
lol.gif
I can't recall if it made it to their lot or not, but I do remember seeing it around town after so who knows. It wasn't a secret those transmissions weren't the greatest...

Originally Posted by Whammo
Do you tell the dealer about all the issues that you know about your car or do you let them find them themselves in their assessment? I have some things that only make noise sometimes and I was wondering if I should tell them about these issues or not. I don't want some call 2 days later asking why I didn't tell them the AC goes hot after about 10 minutes on the freeway

Yes, I would tell them...as long it was Opposite Day.

Nope.

Couple of experiences:

In '95 I traded my '85 Celebrity in and during the test drive they could tell the tranny was slipping. $500 was all they would give for the car. It was fair.

2014 traded a Buick Rainier for an Accord. Salesperson, a personal friend, marked it as 4WD but it wasn't. After I told him the mistake he shrugged and said "oops". Most of the trucks up here are 4WD so it's a normal mistake. He didn't change the value.

Hit a deer with said Accord and had it repaired by a body shop friend. Traded it in and no accident showed on the history. Don't tell if they don't ask.

Traded a '17 Mazda6 for a GTI. I recently swapped the tires and there was some residual lube on the wheels. Manager said all wheels had road rash so I went out with him and rubbed it off with my finger...no they're not!

All of these cars were de-badged so if they wanted it to look stock they would have had to replace them. The only one that was driven was the Celebrity. I've even offered detailed service records during trade-ins to dealers and they don't want them.

I wrestle with this stuff too. It IS interesting that we have a sliding scale of moral values regarding private sale vs. dealer trade in. It's o.k. to leave information out if not asked (dealer sale). That's not considered lying? This gray area stuff is probably wrong, no matter how we try to justify it. I accept my imperfections and that some of what I do is not 100% correct. I am flawed.

In the past, at tax time, how many people complied with their state use-tax law and pay your taxes on mail order items?? https://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/use-tax.asp

I will tell an individual buyer in a person to person sale anything and everything.

Its on the dealers to do their due diligence. They would never voluntarily tell me of any problems, flaws or issues with the new cars they sell, so its completely fair to both sides.

No.

I traded a 2007 MDX that the starter circuit failed and ac only worked on passenger side, broken spring and broken header pipe. It was also rotted would not pass NH inspection.

They were happy to take in trade for $2500 and sell a used car.

I noticed as I was leaving they could not start it
smile.gif

Insanely I saw it appear on their used site under wholesale AS-IS $4000.

I could not with any conscience sell it privately.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
For a dealer, I won't say anything negative unprompted.

For a private buyer, I'll make sure they're aware of all major issues.

For a friend, I'll tell them EVERYTHING.

No matter who it is, I will never lie -- ever.

Pretty much this. My cars sell quickly when they match the ad description. So many others lie or are oblivious that I must come across as a dream seller.

Only time I tried to trade, they offered me $100. I got $1400 privately the next week... before they even sourced a new car in my color combo! And they made such a big deal about "seeing what my trade is worth."

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Of course you don't tell them.

That way, when the dealer puts it out onto the lot and some sucker buys your undisclosed problems, they can come to BITOG and everyone can agree about how dealers are all scam artists.

This!

Originally Posted by Whammo
Do you tell the dealer about all the issues that you know about your car or do you let them find them themselves in their assessment? I have some things that only make noise sometimes and I was wondering if I should tell them about these issues or not. I don't want some call 2 days later asking why I didn't tell them the AC goes hot after about 10 minutes on the freeway

I'm not encouraging anyone to be dishonest and to try to hide known issues, but even if you did hide something and the dealer called you two days later, there's nothing to be done. The paperwork has been signed and the deal is done. The dealer can't make you come back and return the new car, or give them more money, or anything. You sold it to them as-is with no warranty. It's their problem now. And the same is true in a private sale. Once the new owner leaves your house with the title signed over, it's not your problem anymore. Even if the new owner only makes it 200 feet down the road from your house before the engine blows up. That's why, when buying used, it's important to inspect a car thoroughly BEFORE handing over any money.

Again, not encouraging anyone to screw other people over, I'm just telling you what someone legally can/cannot do if they discover problems after buying your car.

Originally Posted by CKN
It's the dealer's job to inspect the car when you trade it in. There is plenty of room between wholesale trade in (the price you get while trading in) and the retail price to repair things the dealer may not catch. They drive the vehcile-so they know how the car runs and the transmission shifts.

If they pull off the wheels and it needs brakes-it's not a big deal.

This. That's why they assess your trade-in while you're out test driving the prospective purchase.

I will not lie about a trade but I also do not offer any information not explicitly asked. I've traded a number of cars and I have never been asked, "Has this car been in an accident?" I have always been asked, "Does this car have a clean Carfax?" The answer to those two questions may be very different. My insurance has never reported a repair to Carfax.

Last edited:
IMHO, safety related issues should be reported. Intermittent problems of accessories is not for me to disclose, if they find it on their initial inspection, so what. If it's a constant issue like a window that doesn't open, I tell them because they will find it anyways.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
For a dealer, I won't say anything negative unprompted.

For a private buyer, I'll make sure they're aware of all major issues.

For a friend, I'll tell them EVERYTHING.

No matter who it is, I will never lie -- ever.

Good man.

Scott

Back