Do you speak any languages other than English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PiperOne
English......and truck driver.

When I was a kid...that used to mean you knew "CB" lingo.

I speak French passably, and am improving due to my daughters going to a French-language school. My family tries to maintain a rudimentary acuity with ASL (American Sign Language) if that counts as "speaking" a language.

A little Spanish, a wee bit of German.

Don't really speak English, more 'Merican with a left coat drawl ...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
I can founder about with the bit of German I learned in high school.

Since I'm humanly sensitive and irresistibly urbane I can pick the most necessary words and get a point across.

My grammar isn't bad, it's non=existent.

WANT AN OLDIE BUT A GOODIE? .....You do! GREAT
What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?......bi-lingual
What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?.....tri-lingual.
What do you call someone who speaks 1 language?.......American.

Kira, you beat me to it.

As for me, I speak;
1. A dead language, Sicilian. Only spoken by the children of immigrants who went to the U.S. , Canada, Australia, and the very old in Sicily. The last few generations in Sicily only speak the national language, Italian. (Different than Italian).

2. Italian (good but not as good as Sicilian).

3. French. (Can't hold an intelligent conversation, but know how to order food in the market, ask for and give directions, etc; won't starve in France).

4. Spanish. (Same as French above. Won't starve).

Trying to learn Brazilian Portuguese but still have a way to go. (Won't starve there either).

As for Number 1 above, I talk with my Australian cousin, born and raised in Brisbane Queensland. Although we may start out speaking English, we sometimes have trouble understanding each other due to his (my) accent and different meanings to common words, so we revert to Sicilian, the language of our ancestors. Just like speaking with my parents, aunts and uncles.

English and French, both perfectly.... it’s pretty cool to see all the English words that come from French. And the French from Latin, which I studied for 5 years but remember very little, albeit it allows me to read and understand a little Italian and Spanish...and some Portuguese.

Since coming to North America in 2000 I had to speak English. Still struggle with the written english and my grammer is f-up sometimes.

"Ek hoop iemand hier kan my verstaan. Lekker lewe hier in Kanada maar vrek van die koue in die winter."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 137_Trenton
In addition to English, I am fluent in 4... Ukrainian, Polish, German, and Russian. It's always nice to know other languages as you never know when it might be useful
smile.gif

That is awesome

Originally Posted By: Kira

WANT AN OLDIE BUT A GOODIE? .....You do! GREAT
What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?......bi-lingual
What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?.....tri-lingual.
What do you call someone who speaks 1 language?.......American.

Lol.... Love it!

I took German for three years in school; I have friends who live there; I have travelled there. Oh, my surname is German, although i am born here. of course, German is of little use in this country - apparently I should have taken Spanish - which is likely the most commonly used secondary language in this country.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Originally Posted By: TTK
Nein, früher konnte ich Deutsch sprechen, but lost most of it it due to non-use.

Ich, auch.

Das gleiche gilt auch für mich.

I can read & write a lot of Russian, but can't speak hardly any of it nor speak much of it.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
English, Russian. I am thinking about studying Spanish. Makes it hard to do my job when people can't tell me they are dying. Irritating that I have to learn another language for some one else's needs, yet we are in the same situation.
mad.gif
spankme2.gif

What prompted you to learn Russian and how did you do it? I've been wanting to learn Russian for a long time but haven't had the time to devote to it yet.

Originally Posted By: JustN89

What prompted you to learn Russian and how did you do it? I've been wanting to learn Russian for a long time but haven't had the time to devote to it yet.

(I know you weren't asking me...)

But, for me - - -
I was in Russia in my very early 30's and meet some beautiful ladies there.

I learned to read and write by emailing with them them,
but I really can't speak it and understand very little when hearing it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: redbone3
Originally Posted By: TTK
Nein, früher konnte ich Deutsch sprechen, but lost most of it it due to non-use.

Ich, auch.

Das gleiche gilt auch für mich.

I can read & write a lot of Russian, but can't speak hardly any of it nor speak much of it.

Ich also nicht sprech recht nun, studied German 2 years in High School followed by no practice for 28 years, then had a business trip to the Frankfurt area in 2008.

I grew up learning school yard and workplace Spanish, lost that from lack of practice while living in Ohio & Louisiana. I didn't pick up any French to speak of yhe 6 years I lived in Louisiana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back