Do you have a favorite mower blade brand?

There are different styles of blades and some that are heavier then others. Have you had good luck with a certain blade as far as great cutting? Mulching ability? Longevity?

I am leaning towards trying Gator blades.
Gator blades are horrible unless they are used in the fall or for spring cleanup.
I prefer Rotary Copperhead high lift blades and side discharge.

Gator blades are horrible unless they are used in the fall or for spring cleanup.
I prefer Rotary Copperhead high lift blades and side discharge.
Never heard of them. I see they resemble Gator blades.

Huh. I've never bought a new lawnmower blade. Even my 20 year old rider had the original blades when it got retired because of a bad transmission.

But for everyone else, please continue. Interesting thread.
That's impressive. I just replaced what I believe was the original Snapper blade (was red and painted to nut) on my late 80's mower.. It is just used for trimming though. When I was mowing my parents yard with a 42in rider (2.5acres, sandy, lots of leaves) it would absolutely consume a set of blades every year. No lift and a good inch to short.

Oregon Gator, I have a mulch plate installed and just mulch year round. The gator blades are heavier than OE but last much longer.

There are different styles of blades and some that are heavier then others. Have you had good luck with a certain blade as far as great cutting? Mulching ability? Longevity?

I am leaning towards trying Gator blades.
Marbain blades by Fisher Baton. They are a specially hardened steel that hold an edge for a long time. I didn’t sharpen them for 2 years mowing 3 acres of rough terrain. More expensive but worth it.

Never heard of them. I see they resemble Gator blades.
Every Rotary blade has the Copperhead label. There are high lifts, sand blades, low lifts, standard lifts, and mulching styles in the Copperhead lineup. So, your statement isn’t completely true.
Here is a Rotary Copperhead High Lift.

Attachments

• 8F092275-D970-482D-A1AC-677B4DD94E48.jpg
    8F092275-D970-482D-A1AC-677B4DD94E48.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 14
Oregon Gator Blades are my favorite. They're heavy, but they mulch like a dream.
I never used them for bagging until two seasons ago, I had always switched to high-lift bagging blades for that. Turns out the Gators work great for bagging, because with the smaller clippings the bag takes longer to fill. I didn't notice anything extra being left behind.

Back