Do you guys regularly clean the throttle body?

rag+cleaner.
it made some difference on my 3y car.
mostly in low rpm,low throtle. parking spot maneuvering (3cyl..)
next time i will not remove it from car.

Last edited:
It has been my experience that every 50k miles is frequent enough. Does it clean crud from the throttle body? Yes. Can I tell a difference in the way the engine runs/performs? No. Perhaps that means cleaning about every 50k miles is more than frequent enough.

There is a caveat. If you use an oiled air filter (eg K&N), you probably need to be cleaning at least the MAF much more frequently.

The TB and MAF get cleaned every 50k per the maintenance schedule (along with coolant) and I always do both together, about every 5-6 years. I would not call this regular. Afterward, it has a smoother idle and slightly better engine response, but not a noticeable increase in fuel economy. Bottom line, it works. I use cleaners made specifically for throttle bodies and mass airflow sensors. I spray TB cleaner onto a soft rag and wipe out the TB, I never spray it directly onto the part. The MAF gets sprayed and air dried.

I don't clean it unless it's an attempt to remedy some issue. I will dampen a rag with TB cleaner and wipe away any gunk if I happen to have it off the engine or if the air intake is removed. Even then, I only wipe the bore and the blade.

I avoid spraying cleaner, willy-nilly all over the place. I read someplace (my Camaro FSM??) to use caution when spraying cleaner, especially around the throttle shaft, that it risks removing the factory applied lubricant. 🤷‍♂️

The throttle butterfly will stick on my focus once the body gunks up a bit, seems to need to be done at ~120k miles in the two I've had. I haven't got to 240k miles yet to see if it needs to be done again! The first one I just cleaned it with a tooth brush just around where the butterfly contacts, no problems. Second time I might have sprayed brake cleaner on it, it evaporates fast right? Some sensor didn't enjoy that for a week or so but it came back online after that.... It didn't like to idle by itself, but that was way better than managing a sticky throttle, so I just kept my feet busy.

These cars seem to be a little like an old house plant, mostly ignore them and it stays alive! Just change the oil once in a while...

Last edited:
Second time I might have sprayed brake cleaner on it, it evaporates fast right? Some sensor didn't enjoy that for a week or so but it came back online after that.... It didn't like to idle by itself, but that was way better than managing a sticky throttle, so I just kept my feet busy.
TB cleaner is specifically designed for these sensitive mechanisms that include TPS and often special coatings and bushings. Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc. are not the same as TB cleaner. Some will say they've used carb cleaner on their TB without issue, still I do not recommend it.

Open the throttle, shove a rubber hose in the bottom half, clean the upper half with a tooth brush and TB cleaner. Move the hose to the upper half and clean the bottom.

163Throttle body cleaning.jpg

My 2002 Suburban seems, especially sensitive to dirty TB. I would clean it semi regularly and it would restore smooth idle. At about 220k, it would barely idle at all. I had to pull it off, and clean it thoroughly. It idled perfectly after that, and still does.

Cleaned it on a 2008 tacoma v6 and man it idles and starts so much better….as for anything else…I have not noticed.

I'll add to the question. Has anyone that's done it ever seen any measurable difference in performance? I'd like to know how a dirty TB would present on a scantool
I had an 2012 Mazda at about 180k it developed a rough idle.
The TB was pretty dirty. After I cleaned it it was fine.
Same thing with an old winstar van.
Dosent seem like it would make much of a difference just looking at it but a dirty throttle body does effect how the vehicle runs.
I decided to do it on my wife’s yaris at 130k and when I saw it it was spotless already.
So I guess it just depends on the vehicle.
I plan on just doing it around every 50k on all my vehicles now just as prevention maintenance.
While there, might as well clean the intake too.
I guess especially if you have DI.

I'd say it's a good idea to do so when you start to notice pinging and other performance issues, otherwise approximately every 100K miles preventatively. You will also want to clean the intake runners, and run a can of Mopar combustion chamber cleaner or similar through the engine to remove carbon buildup from the piston crowns and valves.

Last edited:
I wanted to back about a year or so, but the two shops I used at the time each said it wasn't necessary.

The car runs and idles smoothly and as it should, and acceleration and driveability are fine. I'm not going to bother with it for the foreseeable future.

I do a spray and wipe down at every oil change. I also spray a whole can of intake cleaner thru with the motor running to clean the intake valves just before draining the old oil...a direct injected motor can benefit from that.
Seems excessive at every oil change.

Reactions: hrv
I'll add to the question. Has anyone that's done it ever seen any measurable difference in performance? I'd like to know how a dirty TB would present on a scantool
On a scantool, I don't know
But I've had two cars in front of me refuse to idle/run right until a TB cleaning was done, after a battery replacement

The battery disconnect forces a relearn, and the (10+ year old) dirty throttle body can't quite figure it out

'05 RAV4 and '11 Sonata both needed emergency TB cleaning after a battery swap

Now I consider it a preventive maintenance @ around the 10y/100k mark

Seems excessive at every oil change.
Not at all with a direct injection engine where no fuel (or additives) ever touch the intake valves so they carbon up. This is a very commonly recommended procedure for DI motors. Better to prevent/minimize the carbon or else you will be removing intake or possibly even the heads to clean later when you get misfires and other issues.

Not at all with a direct injection engine where no fuel (or additives) ever touch the intake valves so they carbon up. This is a very commonly recommended procedure for DI motors. Better to prevent/minimize the carbon or else you will be removing intake or possibly even the heads to clean later when you get misfires and other issues.
I think you are trying to avoid the inevitable. Walnut shells, here I come.

Back