Do you drink milk regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pushed as "essential" by certain industries and groups, and the people who are particularly swayed by that koolaid...like "vegetable oil" high in essential omega 6..scam.
Yes, I said before that the fake milks were also part of the scam.

My response regarding humans being the only animals that use it post weaning is with respect to the oft held belief that it's "essential", particularly in "growing children".

This is an important point to underline for the public of a major dairy producing country...although why do we pay so much for it ?

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

I noticed you left out the "if man were meant to drink milk we would produce it ourselves" line. That really is pretty lame. And with all respect, there is the one you used, where you say humans are the only ones to drink milk from another mammal. It really is a pretty lame line, considering there are thousands upon thousands of things that only the human race does.

BTW, go back to what I said...we are the only animals that drink milk after we are weaned...No distinction on the grow it ourselves, or of other mammals, not sure where you get the statement that you attribute to me.

OK, I'll try to avoid being lame...if we were meant to drink milk all our lives, we would have produced the enzymes to do so, wouldn't we ? ... after we were weaned...for all of human evolutionary history eh ?

https://www.nature.com/news/archaeology-the-milk-revolution-1.13471

Quote:
During the most recent ice age, milk was essentially a toxin to adults because — unlike children — they could not produce the lactase enzyme required to break down lactose, the main sugar in milk. But as farming started to replace hunting and gathering in the Middle East around 11,000 years ago, cattle herders learned how to reduce lactose in dairy products to tolerable levels by fermenting milk to make cheese or yogurt. Several thousand years later, a genetic mutation spread through Europe that gave people the ability to produce lactase — and drink milk — throughout their lives. That adaptation opened up a rich new source of nutrition that could have sustained communities when harvests failed.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201...ctose-tolerance

Quote:
Got milk? Ancient European farmers who made cheese thousands of years ago certainly had it. But at that time, they lacked a genetic mutation that would have allowed them to digest raw milk's dominant sugar, lactose, after childhood.

Today, however, 35 percent of the global population — mostly people with European ancestry — can digest lactose in adulthood without a hitch.

So, how did we transition from milk-a-phobics to milkaholics? "The first and most correct answer is, we don't know," says Mark Thomas, an evolutionary geneticist at University College London in the U.K.

Most babies can digest milk without getting an upset stomach thanks to an enzyme called lactase. Up until several thousand years ago, that enzyme turned off once a person grew into adulthood — meaning most adults were lactose intolerant (or "lactase nonpersistent," as scientists call it).

we seemed to get along for the first few hundred thousands of years without drinking milk as adults.

Note the difference between "drinking milk", and the process of storing dairy proteins and fats as cheese and butter.

Same with cats, they don't really drink milk, but we seem to have talked them into it. My cat is having nothing to do with milk, not cat food. Maybe farm cats got into milk as a survival thing.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Just human breast milk for me. Made by humans for humans.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
BTW, go back to what I said...we are the only animals that drink milk after we are weaned...No distinction on the grow it ourselves, or of other mammals, not sure where you get the statement that you attribute to me.

Everyone gives me a hard time because they hear the medical propaganda that coffee and tea and soda don't quench our thirst and actual dehydrate us. Considering I drink almost solely coffee, tea, and soda (with maybe a litre of milk over two weeks to a month), I should have been dehydrated to the point of death years ago.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Just follow a half a pot of coffee with a litre of Pepsi and all is well, right?
wink.gif

It depends:
-diet Pepsi
-Good taste Pepsi (local water supply)
-south of the south of the border Pepsi

I cannot drink the local Coke/Pepsi. It's nothing like the contraband in a former communist country of many years ago...

Back on topic:
-not much these days. I don't really like the taste of US milk. I mostly do yogurt and cheese these days.
But warm with a pinch of salt and a polenta made in cast-iron pot.....

I like milk way too much.

As a kid, We would polish off a gallon of 2% daily, and I was the largest consumer.

At 50 something, I can still polish off the milk. But I realize that even skim milk is as calorie dense as some soft drinks at about 10 cal/oz. (Coke is 140 calories per 12 oz can.)

Of course, with milk, you get something other than sugar/carbs. As you said, calcium, plus some protein and fats with your lactose (sugar) so it's better than a coke.

No calcium supplements for me. A gallon of milk may last a week or so in our home now. I suspect most of it goes into my coffee that I have with cream or milk, no other sweeteners added.

I am suspected of Type 2 diabetes now. At the very least pre-diabetes, so I am tasked with watching everything I eat and limiting my daily carb count to 225gms/day. Seems like a lot, but right now I'm just under 250#, but was actively working out even before Dr suspected this,
so we are seeing if some lifestyle changes can get my Blood Sugar levels down to reasonable values.

A 8 oz glass of 2% milk is 124 calories and 12g of carbohydrates. Better than soda, as you get some fat, protein and vitamins.
But it's still a pretty hefty cost for my carb budget.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Question per thread title. Do you drink it regularly? If so are your calcium levels good as far as you know?

I found out I may be osteoporosis prone. My diet is pretty varied so I never felt the need to consume milk but I guess I need to consider it. (I have no issues eating cheese or ice cream)

How about supplements? Anyone taking Citracal or OsCal?

I put whole milk in my coffee. That's about it.

For breakfast I have either plain kefir with cereal or farmer's cheese and jam.

milk products have lactose and very low glycemic , it does not affect my blood sugar.
same for plain yogurt and cheeses.

Last edited:
I'm more of a spinach and kale eating kinda guy.

Asparagus and Brussels Sprouts as well, but they don't provide as much as some of the others.

Had a mixed greens salad last night with lots of kale and arugula (rocket)

Haven't drank milk in 10 years. Contributed to cystic acne as a teen, and if I touch the stuff as an adult, it upsets my stomach.

I drink about 2 liters of unsweetened almond milk per week with my protein shake mix.

Unsweetened almond milk has no sugar, and more calcium than dairy milk.

I drink 6oz a day as I mix my protein powder in it. I’ll also add half of a Nespresso lungo in to give it a kick. Since I don’t drink much I buy UHT milk so I don’t worry about spoilage.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Question per thread title. Do you drink it regularly? If so are your calcium levels good as far as you know?

I found out I may be osteoporosis prone. My diet is pretty varied so I never felt the need to consume milk but I guess I need to consider it. (I have no issues eating cheese or ice cream)

How about supplements? Anyone taking Citracal or OsCal?

Been drinking milk all my 66 years. Started with whole - now thinned-out to 1% Milk these days. Probably go through 20-30 ounces per day..... combined drinking glass content and inside the bowl for cereal.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Not here either. Almond milk if any and that is very little.

We humans are the only species that drink milk from another species after we get off our own mothers milk. Think about it. If we were intended to drink milk till we die then we would produce our own and not drink another's.

It would look pretty weird to see a cow go up to a dog and start drinking their milk now wouldn't it?

We are also the only species to make rockets to go to outer space.....does that mean we should stop? Not saying milk is good or bad....I believe it is good...I drink organic milk almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back