do you change WIFI name (SSID) a LOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
I leave well enough alone. Too easy to dork it up.

I still like to deliver a message. My current is very generic, just 'ntwz', don't want to be targeted. Fly as far below radar as possible. You know, the liability is too great.

Best to turn off SSID broadcast. People won’t attack what they don’t see.

Nahh, heartless losers will still find you.

And here you are starting a thread and bringing attention to it.

Google mapping is based on your router's MAC address not the SSID. Change the SSID and you will still be on the map.

If you use a hidden SSID you are still broadcasting a MAC address. Broadcasting unique MAC addresses is essential for WiFi connections to work.

Most of this data is collected by bystander's phones. Any Android device which has both wifi and "location" turned on (and likely most of those who think they don't) will be collecting all the MACs and SSIDs the wifi can detect and matching them with the real GPS location and reporting it to Google.

Using a SSID that ends in "_nomap" is supposed to flag Google not to track your router, but it probably doesn't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
I leave well enough alone. Too easy to dork it up.

I still like to deliver a message. My current is very generic, just 'ntwz', don't want to be targeted. Fly as far below radar as possible. You know, the liability is too great.

Best to turn off SSID broadcast. People won’t attack what they don’t see.

Hiding your SSID does nothing to aide security, FYI. I believe QP posted a link earlier as to why. You should probably give it a read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back