Do Hondas really need special PS fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda is tight-lipped about the fluid or the seals they use in their steering systems - I do know Subaru used the same Showa pumps in their turbocharged models, and I've seen TRW-Koyo racks in Odysseys and Pilots - the same OEM as Toyota. Both call for ATF. Honda did relax the fluid requirements in their newer cars(if they have hydraulic PS) - and the dealer I used to work used MOC "universal" fluid, now Valvoline because Hendrick.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
MVA, I too have heard this statement from others in you neck of the woods or in Northern Canada.
smile.gif

But, for myself, while using the Bardahl-Honda P/S fluid here in Western NY(along Lake Ontario), I can't quite say that I noticed the steering becoming stiff in the winter time alghough, I can't say either, that our winters temps are as cold as in BC.

Some sections of NY State do become very cold and temps can drop down into the sub zero(even -20/-30 deg F) but not quite where I live. Some parts of NYS may even get to -40 but, I haven't visited there...I believe that those lower temps can make all the difference in the P/S fluid.

We may drop below zero but, not for long!

Sciphi(if you chime in) how cold does it get in you part of NYS?
smile.gif

I'm from Watertown area of Northern NY, we usually get a hand full of -20 or -30F days.
It is definitely noticeable when you start driving. Motor mounts are rock solid, PS fluid is like molasses so steering is stiff for the first few miles. If you drive a manual transmission like me, the shifts take a much firmer hand as well.
Even shocks and struts are firm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back