Do cylinder walls rust when not used?

I bought a jdm engine for a 1991 Toyota. Sat in the warehouse in California (dry) for 20 years or so. Cylinders had like-new compression, so I wouldn’t say rust is even a consideration, at least in a dry climate. Don’t know about humid ones though.

We're restoring a WWII era Lancaster that has Packard Merlin engines. It was stored outdoors for many years. You should see the rust on all the cylinders where the piston wasn't stopped a top dead center.

So to answer your question, if stored outdoors, with time, definitely.

If I am storing a car outside in the weather, I start it up every couple of weeks just to restore an oil film in all the places it is needed.

If I am storing indoors for the winter in an above freezing garage, I do not start up the car (use a battery tender to keep things charged) as I think it isn't necessary.
Not a good idea unless you bring the engine and exhaust up to operating temp for 10 minutes to drive off all water vapor.

Cylinder wall corrosion depends on the type of materials used. Cast iron, aluminum and Nikasil plating will all react to their environments differently. You can probably guess which one of these will be more susceptible to rust.

20230509_090546.jpg

Sometimes yes. Wisconsin TH with an open exhaust pointing up. Aluminum head was cracked from ice expansion also.
20230509_090107.jpg

Yes, to clarify B&S and other sleeved engines used on commercial mowers, lawn tractors, generators etc. Iron Duke used in boats, along with Chevy 250 I6 and Chevy 350 V8 engines as well, he has torn many engines down over the years. Rusted cylinder walls are a rarity unless they sat out in the open with plugs out, an open carburetor etc.
Yeah - have not seen a Briggs without iron liners in 2x forever

I have a generator with one of their industrial engines which has a sleeved 16 HP engine. A neighbor gave it to me, if I has 25 hours on it it's a lot. After Sandy he went all in with a natural gas Generac. He saw me working on a power washer and asked if I knew someone interested in his Craftsman Generator. I said let me see it, asked how much and he said if I wanted it I could have it. Needless to say it's in my garage, I used it once.

I have a Briggs Storm Responder 5500W/8250W "consumer" generator with the 11HP 342cc engine. As I understand it does not have a cast iron sleeve in the cylinder. It has around 150+ hours of use and works great and doesn't burn any real measurable amount of oil. For commercial use I can see having a cast iron cylinder sleeve though.

Back