Do cylinder walls rust when not used?

If it's humid and the intake/exhaust valve is open, yes. Especially on small engines where water can get inside easily.

Does it take a while or not really? Say it sits unused for a couple weeks, is that fine?

I'd say yes or maybe. Inside a closed up garage for a long time, 10 plus years. Heated garage a lot longer. Maybe. Engine sitting outside uncovered. Yes. Pretty sure it wouldn't take that long. Especially the cylinders with valves open.

Do they rust over if the engine sits unused for a period of time or not really?
My brother has rebuilt several hundreds of lawn mower engines for probably fifty years now. A little less than two years ago he started a business in Florida repairing and selling used OPE, they find or get from people. It is very rare according to him to find rusted cylinder walls, even in engines that sat for very long periods of time. Many cylinder walls still have hatch marks which hold oil. If the machine is well maintained you have nothing to worry about imo.

That's why for boat engines they use a fogging oil. Fogging oil has a tacky component. So it coats the cylinder walls and does not run down and puddle on top of the piston. For a lawnmower you can move the crankshaft to a position where both valves are closed. But not a car engine. One or more cylinders will always have an open valve.

But for a few weeks, forget about it.

I rebuilt a Suzuki GS1000 that sat in a dirt floor garden shed for 15 years, the bores were pitted. Overbore fixed that.

My brother has rebuilt several hundreds of lawn mower engines for probably fifty years now. A little less than two years ago he started a business in Florida repairing and selling used OPE, they find or get from people. It is very rare according to him to find rusted cylinder walls, even in engines that sat for very long periods of time. Many cylinder walls still have hatch marks which hold oil. If the machine is well maintained you have nothing to worry about imo.
Most mower engines are aluminum bores unless commercial grade

Most mower engines are aluminum bores unless commercial grade
Yes, to clarify B&S and other sleeved engines used on commercial mowers, lawn tractors, generators etc. Iron Duke used in boats, along with Chevy 250 I6 and Chevy 350 V8 engines as well, he has torn many engines down over the years. Rusted cylinder walls are a rarity unless they sat out in the open with plugs out, an open carburetor etc.

Yes, to clarify B&S and other sleeved engines used on commercial mowers, lawn tractors, generators etc. Iron Duke used in boats, along with Chevy 250 I6 and Chevy 350 V8 engines as well, he has torn many engines down over the years. Rusted cylinder walls are a rarity unless they sat out in the open with plugs out, an open carburetor etc.
Well that's good. I always wondered about my pressure washer that only gets started once every 6 months or so. Maybe I'll stick it back out in the shop with no hvac.

A few weeks won't matter at all, there's a film on the bores. Long term such as a season or more, depends on the environment. Temperature swings cause condensation. Constant condensing on the bores will eventually cause corrosion - hence the usage of storage spray and fogging oil giving an extra layer of protection.

If it was mine, and I cared about it: stored in climate controlled storage for many years, I'd be tempted to give it a whiff of fog oil on shutdown. Stored outside for a season or no climate control - fog for sure. A month or two only, I wouldn't bother. Climate controlled storage for a year I wouldn't bother either - no temp swings to create condensation.

If it's going to sit for a really long time, especially outside - Pull the plugs, spray directly into cylinder and rotate engine, reinstall plugs.

If I am storing a car outside in the weather, I start it up every couple of weeks just to restore an oil film in all the places it is needed.

If I am storing indoors for the winter in an above freezing garage, I do not start up the car (use a battery tender to keep things charged) as I think it isn't necessary.

Do they rust over if the engine sits unused for a period of time or not really?
It takes some time for that to happen when a valve remains open and it is stored in a moist environment.. If you plan on storing, fogging oil will prevent rust from forming for a long time.

It's like brake rotors. If you haven't driven it a month, it forms some rust, but it's wiped off after 3 or 4 stops. And the cylinder is oil lubricated and pretty well closed off so even less chance to rust. Had cars stored outside over 5 years with no issues running again.

It takes some time for that to happen when a valve remains open and it is stored in a moist environment.. If you plan on storing, fogging oil will prevent rust from forming for a long time.
We do have very foggy days in the winter where everything has moisture on it even inside a garage unless it's heated. I always wondered if the engine of the engine was the same way.

Back