Do AWD subcompact & compact SUVs/Crossovers have a more robust undercarriage or suspension than their 2WD counterpoints?

In general? No.

Why would the OEM spend the extra $ to make it more robust? They’re not 4WD off road trucks.

Case in point - three FWD Volvos, two AWD Volvos, in the same chassis. Many common parts. Chassis. Body. Transmission. Suspension. Most of the suspension parts bolt right up on either the FWD and AWD chassis. Common ball joints, tie rods, strut mounts, brakes, brake hoses, wheel hubs, sway bars, and rear control arms.

The only suspension differences? Slightly longer front lower control arms, slightly longer front and rear struts, and slightly different wheel offset. Everything else is interchangeable.

Other minor differences - smaller gas tank to fit over the rear differential. Front differential installed on the same transmission. A couple brackets to carry the driveshaft.

I’d say if not needed, then like others said get FWD.
I would agree. Does it ever snow or get icy in New Orleans? Super rare I would imagine.

FWD has been commonplace for 40+ years and we did OK. And before that, we even managed to survive with RWD (oh, the horror!). Heck I live where it DOES snow and I don't use AWD and I drive a ton of miles annually.

The choice will be moot though thanks to so many small SUVs and crossovers being AWD-only.

I would agree. Does it ever snow or get icy in New Orleans? Super rare I would imagine.

FWD has been commonplace for 40+ years and we did OK. And before that, we even managed to survive with RWD (oh, the horror!). Heck I live where it DOES snow and I don't use AWD and I drive a ton of miles annually.

It is funny how we dealt with it before AWD was a thing and made it work. I know I would avoid it all together now if I didn't have to deal with snow.

With the few freakish snow storms we get per year these days and the times I'm on the roads due to work, it's worth it for me.

Once retired and I can stay home during the storms, I'll likely do without.

With the few freakish snow storms we get per year....
I see you're in Buffalo..... Did you get a lot this year? I'm west of Chicago and I doubt we got more than ten inches total. We don't see nearly as much snow here as the media seems to think.

AWD systems vary a LOT, some better than others + IMO tyres matter as much or MORE!! had a 2001 wolfsburg jetta + ran 4 smaller width REAL snow tyres when i commuted in PA weather + i passed many struggling AWD + even 4 WD vehicles!!! 4 dedicated tyres + wheels for snow can cost a LOT less than AWD, + they can be easily switched at HOME seasonably + another note is AWD DONT help stopping like a real SNOW tyre does!!

I see you're in Buffalo..... Did you get a lot this year? I'm west of Chicago and I doubt we got more than ten inches total. We don't see nearly as much snow here as the media seems to think.
Winters have been so different. We seem to get 1 or 2 bad localized storms with accumulations as much as 4+feet per winter, with a bunch of light 4-5" accumulation snow falls mixed in. Not a lot of in-between. This winter I've only had to use my snowblowers a handful of times. Definitely not complaining! Although, as I'm typing this is about 20F out with 4" on the ground and it's almost April. I live out in the ski hill area where it's tough to get going on the hills, get up the driveway, etc.

Is there a story here? What happened to the EV6?
My wife ended up hating it...stopping to charge on long trips. My son is on an elite traveling soccer team and we need a road trip car that doesn't need us to stop and charge. We are a family that usually only stops for gas...so the Hybrid Sportage was the closest to the EV6 that fit the bill.

My wife ended up hating it...stopping to charge on long trips. My son is on an elite traveling soccer team and we need a road trip car that doesn't need us to stop and charge. We are a family that usually only stops for gas...so the Hybrid Sportage was the closest to the EV6 that fit the bill.
That mirrors my e-tron experience! My wife drove it for a month straight to try and get to like it, but just couldn't, so we offloaded it.

[
AWD systems vary a LOT, some better than others + IMO tyres matter as much or MORE!! had a 2001 wolfsburg jetta + ran 4 smaller width REAL snow tyres when i commuted in PA weather + i passed many struggling AWD + even 4 WD vehicles!!! 4 dedicated tyres + wheels for snow can cost a LOT less than AWD, + they can be easily switched at HOME seasonably + another note is AWD DONT help stopping like a real SNOW tyre does!!
Yesterday was AWD ftw in 2015 Pilot with CrossClimate 2 winter oriented all season tires at ski area .

The Jetta nearby with snows got stuck in 2-3’ drifts and pulled it out. I gave him a gentle tug with a tow strap.

Drifts not pictured here

IMG_3023.jpeg

Yesterday was AWD ftw in 2015 Pilot with CrossClimate 2 winter oriented all season tires at ski area .
Bit of snow yesterday, got 18” out of that storm, I could see the ski areas getting more.

Stayed home. ;) I did drive my son to work at one point, using his CRV with a/s tires. I may have attempted some 4 wheel drifting at one point, but that was after dropping him off.

[

The Jetta nearby with snows got stuck in 2-3’ drifts and pulled it out. I gave him a gentle tug with a tow strap.

Drifts not pictured here

View attachment 210183
We live on a dirt road with a pretty steep driveway and I realized soon after moving to Vermont from Florida in '20 that for us AWD is a necessity.
1711447330953.jpg

Back