DNA testing - Ancestry, 23andMe...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a correlation between SOME people that change their own oil-and privacy paranoia. I don't know what it is-but it's there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
There is a correlation between SOME people that change their own oil-and privacy paranoia. I don't know what it is-but it's there.

It's classic cause and effect are not necessarily related. This is an oil site, many people on this site change their own oil. I know lots of other paranoid people who don't change their own oil. Some of them don't even have cars, real tree huggers. It's fun to talk to them but of course you never get their paranoia. I try to be nice though, you don't wanna poke the bear too hard.

They do say that just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean there not out to get you. Or is it that they've already gotten you?

Originally Posted By: 28oz

LOL. The legend, story, whatever involved a Native American (supposedly, a prostitute) and her child which was supposedly at least partial African. Being a descendant, my DNA did show small amounts of Native American and African. Far from proof of the story, but it does lend it evidence.

Thanks for sharing!
Closure at last
smile.gif

I just got mine back from Ancestry, and no surprises at all, it's exactly my known family history - 52% Ireland, Scotland and Wales, and they pinpoint the Ulster region, 40% English and a bunch of European stuff of 1%, and that's expected as that's where people from the British Isles came from. Two Irish Grandfathers, one married an English girl, the other a Scottish girl.

I'll have to get my brother to do his. My father's side are often Black Irish, and my brother is - thick black hair, mono brow, brown eyes and dark skin...and his son is too. I'm more the stroppy little Irish jockey type, blue eyes and brown hair...and a tendency to get into trouble.

Ancestry DNA has brought up some names of possible relatives...there are names from my mothers side, none from my fathers.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I've often wondered what the point of this was.
Unless your family history is obscured with many forgotten relatives and passing sires of offspring, you probably already know where your people came from as well as when and maybe even the ship they sailed on.
We already know these things in our family and needed no genetic testing for the purpose.
Anyway, what difference would it make one way or the other?
As I'm fond of telling people, we're all Americans and there were no hominids native to this continent.

My known family tree begins with my mother, and currently ends with my 2 kids. My mother was adopted, and I've never met my biological father.

I haven't done one of these, but I am at least a little bit interested.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I just got mine back from Ancestry, and no surprises at all, it's exactly my known family history - 52% Ireland, Scotland and Wales, and they pinpoint the Ulster region, 40% English and a bunch of European stuff of 1%, and that's expected as that's where people from the British Isles came from. Two Irish Grandfathers, one married an English girl, the other a Scottish girl.

I'll have to get my brother to do his. My father's side are often Black Irish, and my brother is - thick black hair, mono brow, brown eyes and dark skin...and his son is too. I'm more the stroppy little Irish jockey type, blue eyes and brown hair...and a tendency to get into trouble.

Ancestry DNA has brought up some names of possible relatives...there are names from my mothers side, none from my fathers.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back