DIY: 2018+ Camry 4-cyl ATF Change (UB80E)

Also posted this on ToyotaNation.

2018 Camry XSE 4-cyl, non-hybrid. 61,800 miles.

After the car had been sitting for over 20 hours, I drained the ATF and was able to collect exactly 3 quarts after removing both the drain plug and the threaded stand pipe. The drain plug is a 10mm hex and the threaded stand pipe is a 6mm hex.

[Linked Image]

Next, I reinstalled the drain plug and pumped in 3 quarts of Idemitsu Type TLS-LV ATF using my AST fluid filler (you can also use a funnel and the appropriate-sized hose). Note: the fill plug is a 24mm and is accessed thru the driver-front fender well.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After temporarily reinstalling the fill plug, I started the engine and shifted thru each gear selector position (P-R-N-D) while keeping the gear selector in each position for 3 seconds. I performed this procedure twice. Then, I allowed the engine to idle for an additional 2 min in Park to allow for the fluid to circulate.

After the previous step was complete, I repeated the drain and refill process two additional times - for a total of 3 times.

After the 3rd drain, I replaced the drain plug gasket and refilled with 3.2qts to allow for extra fluid to drain out during the fluid level adjustment process.

I used an Autel MD808 Pro scan tool, but you can use other methods as well (e.g. IR temp gun, built-in A/T temp light, etc.). The key is to get the fluid temp between 95-113 with 104F being the ideal temperature. After the 3rd drain, you may need to allow the engine to cool for 1-1.5 hr in order for the fluid temperature to drop; the transmission heats up very quickly and the few minutes of idling between each drain and refill may put the fluid temperature outside of the allowable range.

Note: It is very important to start the fluid level adjustment process with the fluid temperature in the mid 90F range in order to allow for enough time to go thru each gear selector position and for the engine idle speed to drop.

[Linked Image]

In total, I drained about 9.3 quarts (over 3 drain and refills) and refilled with about 9.3-9.4 qt. The old fluid was dark but not burnt. After the transmission service, shifts are noticeably smoother when the transmission is cold.

Hope this helps!

Nice job Michael. I'm sure you know some Toyota/Lexus "purists" say to never service the transmission. It's lifetime fluid!
The Lexus GS website smacks you down for even thinking about it... Ha!

This will help me as I service the GS next week.

Last edited:
This has been a point of discussion on /r/Camry

Good to see that it's DIYable, with some good planning

Since yours is an '18, did you get the reflash that I'm told makes things much better?

Originally Posted by michaelluscher

Since yours is an '18, did you get the reflash that I'm told makes things much better?

Funny you mention the reflash: the owner of the car asked me about this a few mins ago. He hates going to the dealer, so he is going to have me do the reflash later today.

Reflash is in progress now.

T-SB-0152-19 Rev1
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic

Reflash is in progress now.

T-SB-0152-19 Rev1
[Linked Image]

Lucky man
Way to rub it in

I need my '06 updated, but I'm not paying the 2+ hours of labor my local dealer wanted

I keep a knockoff Techstream, works fine for checking deeper modules then OBD2, programming keys and TPMS

But I don't trust it for reflashing

How did you decide to use TLS for the fluid? Just asking. I believe the AT calls for WS.

Lucky man
Way to rub it in

I need my '06 updated, but I'm not paying the 2+ hours of labor my local dealer wanted

I keep a knockoff Techstream, works fine for checking deeper modules then OBD2, programming keys and TPMS

But I don't trust it for reflashing

How much did your dealer quote you? Drewtech's RAP2 service can do a remote programming session for you for $125. Their rental box which contains a tablet, 4G internet, cables and power maintainer is $50/mo to rent, so $175 total.

http://drewtech.com/RAP/capabilities.html

Originally Posted by Gebo
How did you decide to use TLS for the fluid? Just asking. I believe the AT calls for WS.

I used Type TLS-LV.

Update: 2K miles on the Idemitsu Type TLS-LV and software reflash. I had a chance to drive the car yesterday - the transmission shifts perfect. No hunting, no harsh shifts and the responsiveness of the transmission is very acceptable for an 8AT.

I don't know why they make it so you have to take a wheel off to do it. I guess they have to find new ways to scare people away from maintaining their own car.

Originally Posted by Chuckh
I don't know why they make it so you have to take a wheel off to do it.
This is the easy bit, if you're going for a pan drop you'll have to battle several well hidden pan bolts and if your level of confidence is still sky high to continue on with flushing via the return cooler line (1 litre out, 1litre in, rinse and repeat) you will need to be relatively accurate when measuring the fluid level during and after the operation. There is no dipstick, so you have to rely on a procedure designed for a black box where you only what goes in and what comes out, without actually knowing what's inside. Hilarious, no wonder a fair chunk of cars left the factory under filled.

Originally Posted by Chuckh
I don't know why they make it so you have to take a wheel off to do it. I guess they have to find new ways to scare people away from maintaining their own car.

I dunno--I mean, technically, all 4 wheels are supposed to come off every 7,500 miles (give or take for normal rotation). But taking one off for a trans service every (30k? 60k? 120k?) is a bridge too far?

Back