Disc brake rotor stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just get what you need to change now and worry about the other vehicles when the time comes. If and when the time comes, Amazon might have a better deal plus free shipping. I wouldn't stock rotors for the other cars.

The only brake parts I stash are ones that can be used on cars that I know will need them multiple times (or other vehicles I work on that can use them) and are a killer deal.
VW Zimmerman (OE) rotors were being blown out at Rock for $22ea and $80 Textar pads yellow box for $10, very common part numbers covering multiple models and years. I cleaned them out.

I already made the money back inc shipping and then some using these parts not inc labor so now I own a bunch of top quality parts for $0.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
What's up with the short life of rotors these days on nissan and Honda?

I know many Nissan and Honda owners without that problem, including myself. Perhaps it is the same driving habits that have also destroyed so many of your engines.

"I know many... = Fake statistics.

May be stuff is just garbage now. Designed to wear to give the dealer some service since tune ups valve adjustments and 3K OCI are over. I would almost guarantee it. No warranty on a design flaw. Nice job of abandonment. Nissan Guess that's why you are 10-20% priced undermarket.

Didn't kill brakes on my other (70 something odd) cars and I was MUCH harder driver in the 70's and 80s.

Of course most of these were proper stick stirrers and NO rear discs but drums and NO moron traction control for moron drivers that is constantly applying one rear UNDERSIZED brake or another.

If you have an argument to make, it a good one; cast aspersions and you will be seen for what you are.

My traction-controlled Honda gets less brake life out of the rears than the fronts, supposedly due to the traction control. With data points of exactly two rear brake jobs, rear brakes last 80K miles each, and fronts just over 90K. It's hard to make an argument that traction control kills modern brakes early from that data, so I won't.

I have hard data on the as-new measured rotor runout on all my disc rotors of my entire fleet of 3 vehicles, which you may handily dismiss as statistically insignificant; I also have had zero problems with "cheap brakes" and "warped rotors" since starting to manage runout as a controllable metric. I also have very long brake life, on the order of 80-110K per set of pads. Which you may also dismiss handily as statistically insignificant.

Your proclivity in killing engines is hard data; suggesting your killing brakes might be related is just a theory. Deming liked theories; but he knew their limits. But when the "cheap brake" and "warped rotor" complainers fail to answer my repeated question "what was your as-new rotor runout" and they have NO DATA and I have my small set of data and repeated success; I know what answer I'm going with.

No rotor runout, the rogue seized front caliper slide pins in 2.5 years; I would guess either wrong grease or no grease from the factory I would suspect. Biggest concern was Nissan accepted NO responsibility. Outside pads were less than 1/4 worn, inside pads gone.

Never before had this happen. I typically get long life from brakes in my stick cars.

Traffic doesn't move in Maryland so YOU don't need brakes or traction control
smile.gif

Funny you mentioned Deming - I had the delight of being at one of his last seminars in the 80's at Cape Cod.
Simple but effective. I gave away a Bonnie Small textbook he signed for me when I left Bell labs.
I'm only in QC for the job not as my career. Having a bad memory I've forgotton 90% of what ive learned about 5s Kaizen and 6sigma.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: Donald
Another alternative is for RockAuto to negotiate better shipping deals from UPS and FedEx.

RockAuto makes a 'profit' on the shipping rates they charge. That's their prerogative, of course.

And RockAuto doesn't have the same logistics network Amazon has - true, while Amazon does work their drivers like Uber does, they can control that overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back