Dipstick, screw in or not?

It all depends on the design of the dipstick. My old Toro with a Quantum engine and two year old Ariens snowblower both have
steel dipsticks ( straight) attached to a flat cap that locks when given a 1/4 turn. There is no or hardly any downward travel. Now my Honda
engine of my lawnmower is another story. It is plastic with a threaded cap sitting on a 30 to 45 deg angle. The threaded section is
3/4 " long. To check the oil, you DO NOT screw it all in because it will give a wrong reading. You place it or rest it on the edge of
the tube and take a reading. It's common sense. Always check the manual.

Originally Posted by threeputtpar
Since it's a Tecumseh, I'd check the oil level without screwing the stick back in. This will force you to have more oil in the case than you would if checking it with the stick screwed all the way in.

Everyone knows that if you run a Tecumseh even a couple of ounces low on oil it will throw the rod out the side of the block. Best to have too much oil in it than too little.
grin.gif

I own one Tecumseh HM80 and one B&S OHV Intek and the Tec says to check without screwing the stick in and the B&S says to screw it in.

This is not a trash Tecumseh thread. Your beliefs with Tecumseh adds nothing to the OP's question.

Originally Posted by jkasch
HM100 owners manual says screw it down.

Page 7

I thought I settled it with the link to page 7 of Tecumseh the manual.

Back