Digital TV/Cable recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a digital tv/cable tv recorder to record some shows on cable. Currently using a VHS still(dont laugh). Are there any that do this without a monthly charge. Doesnt need to be fancy. I just dont want to pay the cable company ot Tivo another monthly feel. I live in NJ and have cablevision if that means anything. my cablebox is a Samsung SMT-c5320 provided by the cable company

Build a multi-media PC aka "freevo"

There are custom linux software distros just for you.

Do you plan on recording ClearQAM without a box, analog SD cable, HDMI HD from the cable box, or ???

Try plugging your cable spigot directly into your HDTV and scanning it, this will show how much stuff is in ClearQAM.

Unless you plan to build your own DVR (gets expensive rather fast, and isn't as user-friendly), just get a TiVo or your cable-provider's DVR.

A TiVo is actually fairly cost-effective in the long run. Mine is 5 years old at this point and still going strong. Has required zero maintenance and never broken. My folks and I have been using them for a very long time.

Just get a TV tuner card & use your PC. They are cheap ($50-70) and work with most cable providers.

Another vote for Tivo. I bought a used one with a lifetime subscription (no monthly user fees) and have it hooked up to an antenna in the attic. I get all the major networks and usually have more stuff recorded than I have time to watch.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Just get a TV tuner card & use your PC. They are cheap ($50-70) and work with most cable providers.

+1

Been using a Diamond ATI USB TV Tuner for over 4 years now. Works great with Windows Media Center.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Another vote for Tivo. I bought a used one with a lifetime subscription (no monthly user fees) and have it hooked up to an antenna in the attic. I get all the major networks and usually have more stuff recorded than I have time to watch.

Another vote for TiVo w/ the lifetime subscription. Can't beat it.

I would think that's now easily done with either Windows, Mac or Linux-box..you just need a tuner card and a big HD to store content on away from your OS and everyday files.

I still have a working VCR...it's now > 25yrs old and works fine. However, in the past few years I've aquired a couple of Panasonic DVD recorders, one with a HD (hard-drive). Unfortunately, neither has ATSC tuners (too old), but they do have internal timers and I use them with external ASTC tuners. Just remember to turn the volume up to 100% before recording!!

These work great, I can easily edit out commercials on the HD unit and optical disks are cheap...much cheaper than paying a monthly subscription charge. I'm 100% OTA (over-the-air) = old-fashioned-antenna.

magnavox makes dvd recorders with digital tuner. I have one from 2009 that still works. I went to antenna and use it to record from all the networks. I found out I couldn't record any shows with cable tv with the digital transition. I would have had to use comcast's dvr for that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back