diesel fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdi jerry

$100 Site Donor 2024
i know that this may not be the forum but did not see one to post this question. i have a vw bettle 2000/ tdi. i would like to know who makes the best diesel fuel for use in this engine ?

thanks

jerry
patriot.gif

I believe ExxonMobil or Conoco has a gas to liquids process going in Germany that produces a nearly 'perfect' diesel fuel that is virtually free of sulfur, very high cetane, and absolutely no aromatics.

Insofar as obtaining pump diesel in your locale, my advice would be to follow the volume users (truckers) and see what they are using. Diesel in a certain region generally all comes from the same refinery anyways, so trial and error really is the only effective way of determine which additive package, if any, is best for you.

I reckon that biodiesel is the perfect diesel engine fuel.

100% esters. High lubricity. Enough oxygen content to reduce smoke and other pollutants.

And if it's made from already used oils, then that's a bonus.

Check to see if any BP/Amoco's sell BP Supreme or Amoco Premier diesel fuel. This is probably the only true refined premium diesel fuel in the US. It carries a cetane rating of minimum 50, whereas regular diesel fuel is 40-42 cetane. However, I understand, cetane index is only one component that qualifies the fuel to be labled premium.

I can purchase the Amoco Premier locally and notice that it's almost clear in color, with just a hint a green dye. It's said to be kept seperate in the pipelines/distribution points.

Unlike gasoline's octane ratings, rarely do you see diesel fuel's cetane ratings posted at the pumps. However, I've noticed those that do sell premium diesel, usually advertise it as such. But the bulk of it is probably additized low grade and called premium.

The tdiclub.com forums are a great resource for the TDI, lots of info there on fuels, including bio-diesel.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
I reckon that biodiesel is the perfect diesel engine fuel.

100% esters. High lubricity. Enough oxygen content to reduce smoke and other pollutants.

And if it's made from already used oils, then that's a bonus.

Yes, but have they really resolved the cold-weather operational issues with biodiesel yet?

Seems its predisposition to gelling inhibits use of straight or high % blends once it gets cold out.

tdi jerry,

There is a Biodiesel in Garner and Cary. That is the closest at least for me down here in Duplin county. I'm going to give it try when I'm in that area. The only problem is I need to change out my fuel hoses to make sure they hold up. Your 2000 model already has biodiesel compliant hoses on it.
smile.gif

Jerry,
It is often the case where the brand name on the pump is different from the brand name of the refinery.

If you can find premium diesel, try that. Otherwise, try each brand for two or three tanksful and keep track of which gives you the best results.

Ken

In general, the answer is going to vary by locale and supplier, and I wouldn't get too hung up on brand name since that means very little in a lot of markets.

As others have said, look around for the high volume pumpers in you area - generally a decent supply can be found where the turnover is high! Try a few brands, keep some records, and decide from there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back