Dexron VI suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of using up some 2 year old Super Tech Dexron VI that's been on the shelf while I put some miles on my 4L60E. I'll do several pan drains/refills this spring as I update the fluid before the summer towing season.

But it looks like the Super Tech I've been using has been discontinued or updated. Which means I have a blank slate as to what I use next.

Any suggestions? Value is always good, thus my initial choice of ST.

This won't help your case but for Canucks there is synthetic Dex 6 at Canadian Tire.
smile.gif

DA94B427-0A17-4894-82D0-8724BCB5D105.jpeg

Last edited:
Meant to also ask about any potential compatibility issues. All brands of DEXRON VI can mix without problem, correct?

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
Meant to also ask about any potential compatibility issues. All brands of DEXRON VI can mix without problem, correct?

I'll bet no one studied it from a scientific bases, but I know I do it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

I'll bet no one studied it from a scientific bases, but I know I do it.
smile.gif

^This
When i do drain/fills I have mixed approx 40%, 70%, or 90% new DexVI with old DexVI with no problems. Same for Maxlife, RedLine, etc that are not DexVI certified but recommended for DexVI applications.

If I were doing the procedure mentioned in the OP, I would use the Supertech bottles mentioned + Maxlife to the correct amount. Or Pennzoil Platinum LV (which is DexVI certified) if it is still on clearance at Home Depot. Basically I would use the cheapest fluid that is certified or that is recommended by a major company...as Jimzz said above, maxlife is usually the best deal if you buy it @ walmart in gallon jugs.

Any product that meets Dex 6 specs will be perfectly adequate, and all Dex 6 rated fluids are compatible with each other. Just grab whatever, store brand will be fine, or find something on sale. As long as it's Dex 6, it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
This won't help your case but for Canucks there is synthetic Dex 6 at Canadian Tire.
smile.gif

I may be wrong, but doesn't a fluid have to be synthetic to meet Dex 6 spec?

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

No
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

No
smile.gif

No just perform like a synthetic.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Supertech still has Dex-VI. Its also Mercon LV rated now as well.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Quart/52626198

But I like Maxlife. Can get for $18 a gallon at walmart all day and works great.

I picked up torque converter shudder between 40-60mph shortly after using maxlife multi-vehicle in my Escalade. Not sure why but it's definitely thinner.

Maxlife multi vehicle ATFÂ
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91
VI - 156

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

I'm putting ACDelco Dex VI back shortly. Hopefully it goes back like it was before

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Originally Posted by Jimzz
Supertech still has Dex-VI. Its also Mercon LV rated now as well.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Full-Synthetic-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Quart/52626198

But I like Maxlife. Can get for $18 a gallon at walmart all day and works great.

I picked up torque converter shudder between 40-60mph shortly after using maxlife multi-vehicle in my Escalade. Not sure why but it's definitely thinner.

Maxlife multi vehicle ATFÂ
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91
VI - 156

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

I'm putting ACDelco Dex VI back shortly. Hopefully it goes back like it was before

The DEXRON VI which was replaced was closer to 5.9 CST than 6.1 CST and if .2 CST is causing issues DEXRON is the least of your worries. DEXRON VI can be as low as 5.5 CST.

Castrol Dex VI goes on sale at AA for $5 a QT from time to time. Good fluid and licensed product.

Thanks. I ended up ordering a 12 pack of Amalie synthetic off Amazon for $68. Should get me through a couple of years' worth of drain and fills.

Thanks. I ended up ordering a 12 pack of Amalie synthetic off Amazon for $68. Should get me through a couple of years' worth of drain and fills.

Good choice.

I did a simple drain and fill using a mighty vac right through the dip stick tube on my 2018 Silverado (25,000 miles). I used a fluid that I kind of regret...it was something we had laying around...we bought Smitty's Super Synthetic for our transmission exchange machine (it is supposedly Dex lV approved) but I did a little reading on Smitty's oils/gear fluids and evidently they've been sued more than once for not reaching licensing specs, so I got that fluid out of there. Went with Carquest Dexron lV, it was around $5.75 a quart. Did I notice any difference? Nope. I figure I probably have exchanged maybe 6-8 quarts by now...I'll drop the pan and change the filter at 50,000 miles and just use AC Delco Dexron Vl.

Well I tried Tasca for the Dex VI and some parts for my Nissan. They were unable to complete the majority of the order including the transmission fluid which was the most important thing. They said that GM was out of the fluid and they weren't sure when they would get any again. So I ended up with a $3 hose and none of the other parts. They refunded all my money after wasting my time for 3 weeks. Guess I'll try gmpartsgiant which has come through before. Maybe there is a problem getting ACDelco Dex VI I'm going to find out

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Well I tried Tasca for the Dex VI and some parts for my Nissan. They were unable to complete the majority of the order including the transmission fluid which was the most important thing. They said that GM was out of the fluid and they weren't sure when they would get any again. So I ended up with a $3 hose and none of the other parts. They refunded all my money after wasting my time for 3 weeks. Guess I'll try gmpartsgiant which has come through before. Maybe there is a problem getting ACDelco Dex VI I'm going to find out

You can go with any house brand DEX VI it will save you $$$ and it's all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back