dexos1 Gen 2 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received word today that the new list of dexos1 Gen 2 oils should go live next week (same URL: http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos/); should be interesting to see the oils that are dropped.

(For those unaware, the new dexos1 specification is a significantly strengthened, higher performance standard).

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Is Gen 2 the same as dexos1:2015?

Yes, it's the same thing.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Is Gen 2 the same as dexos1:2015?

Yes, it's the same thing.

Thanks for the info...this includes an LSPI test and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for which oils have the qualification and which don't.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
So does tht effect the oil i should use on my 15 Malibu?

Absolutely. As you know, the Gen III Ecotec is direct injection.

As aforementioned by Virtus_Probi, the new dexos specification incorporates a stochastic pre-ignition (SPI) test; here's some reading on the issue:
http://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/may-2015/investigating-low-speed-pre-ignition
http://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/apr-2016/controlling-low-speed-pre-ignition
http://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/feb-2017/identifying-low-speed-pre-ignition-events

Well that's good to learn ramblejam. I bet the new Dexos approved oil list will be MUCH shorter now with this latest generation. Going to be awhile before many other oils can meet this new standard.

Last edited:
A couple of GM vehicles and I really don't bother with who is on an approved list or not. I will use a oil that claims to meet a spec, but I do not worry if it is on some approved list or not. That has been true for my personal and commercial vehicles and equipment. Have never had an issue that could be attributed to the oil in anything for 45 years, and have never had a dealer or OEM even ask what oil I was using. Only thing I have ever discussed with a OEM shop about oil was when I got some goofy UOA's on a Cummins ISX back in 2008. We just attributed to that to changing oil brand and let it ride for a while and see how it plays out. It worked out fine. Oh.. and that oil was not on Cummins approved list. I have never even seen a Cummins "approved" oil list for their heavy commercial engines. The only oil Cummins has recommended for those is Valvoline Premium Blue, which makes sense since Cummins is partnered with Ashland Oil who makes it.

No Valvoline oils at all...maybe because sodium in combination with calcium is an LSPI accelerator?
Glad to see this list, thanks to HLP for providing the link!

I'm though for sure valvoline would be on there. There was a post on here the other day directly from them stating their full synthetic was going to be on the new list

Originally Posted By: dblshock
further in that site they seem to imply the actual dexos2 will not be W20.

dexos2 will be the higher HTHS type stuff anyhow, so that's not a surprise. As for the comments about 5w-20 being fairly rare in the lists, that's a good question. I know GM published something over a year ago stating that 0w-20 dexos1 options can be used wherever 5w-20 dexos1 options were being used, and that the 5w-20 AC Delco stuff would be disappearing.

Do we know what the expected SAPS level is for Dexos1 Gen2 ?

The original Dexos1 has SA < 1.0 %

In ACEA a full SAPS A3/B4 oil is 1.0 to 1.6 %, a mid-SAPS C3 oil is < 0.8% and a low SAPS C4 oil is
M1 5W30 has a SA of 0.8% right now, while Valvoline SynPower 5W30 is 0.93%

It looks to me like ILSAC and Dexos oils are becoming mid-SAPS oils

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Is LSPI prevention a concern even for non - turbo gas DI engines ?

I have only seen LSPI discussed in the context of DIT engines, but I don't know that it can't occur in a NA DI engine.
All the instances I am aware of in which vehicles were recalled for LSPI (Hyundai Veloster Turbo, Subaru Forester XT/WRX, and the recent Chevy 1.5l turbo) involved smaller displacement DIT gas engines.

I can imagine that dexos2 will not be a 20w. After all, it is a diesel spec. I suppose there might be somewhere, but I have never heard of a diesel engine using a 20w oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back