dexos 1 vs dexos 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by avi1777
Originally Posted by 4WD
The OP asked a very good question. The member from Oz gave a great answer. OP asked another question … and the subject of a fairly high compression came up.

Avi … there are other members with that engine … and more good feedback will come.

IIRC … didn't the Mazda oil have a high moly content … anyone know what it was in PPM …?

tnk u for that,I'm just trying to educate myself,
it seems there are people here who are just like to be rude.
all good.

I often wonder why some people act rude in restaurants, super markets, gas stations, grocery stores, forums, etc. I figure they are just hurting.

Just forgive them and Post On...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

(you're waaay overthinking this. use what your owners manual says, more than likely a pcmo, and move on to something else worthy of your time)

this forum was borne out of waaay overthinking PCMO choices.
55.gif

Only in America can critical thinking be considered overthinking. Y'all might want to start learning Mandarin so to please your future overlords.

can please someone explain the difference?
it was once said that that the dexos 2 was for diesel but its not really only for it,in europe they recommend it,in the states with the new corvette as well,
i go to any companys oil selector and they recommend dexos 1 but also the 2(mazda cx5 g).
so my question is basically what to use,i understood that the the 2 is more robust then the 1,what else is the difference,and if its for a familiy car will there be any benefit with one over the other?can there be a downside or even worse when using the 2 over the1? doind mostly very short city trips.
tnx a lot.

run the dexos 1 gen 2.

I do I use the motul 8100 eco lite now.
it's weird I noticed its written full syn in one place on the motul website and on another place on the same site they wrote syn technology.
and yes rude people are far more common then nice people now days I'm afraid but it's all good I always choose to be nice because that is the right way to live.doing that from a position of strength.
it's all good.

Originally Posted by PimTac
And that is why I have this person on ignore.

and somehow u still read my posts.
what a child.

it's weird I noticed its written full syn in one place on the motul website and on another place on the same site they wrote syn technology.
and yes rude people are far more common then nice people now days I'm afraid but it's all good I always choose to be nice because that is the right way to live.doing that from a position of strength.
it's all good.

How is telling you to read your manual rude? I'll tell you what, why don't you call your dealership or better yet, call Mazda and put this question to them (using Dexos 2 instead of 1 in your engine) and tell me what they say...tell me if they *think* I was being rude by suggesting you go with what's in the manual. If they say I was rude, then I'll concede I was rude. Until then I stand by my comment.. sorry it doesn't comport with the type of answer you were looking for. But remember, this is an open forum and not everyone is going to subscribe to what you are trying to do.

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL
Only in America can critical thinking be considered overthinking. Y'all might want to start learning Mandarin so to please your future overlords.

You familiar with the term "paralysis by analysis"? Yeah, overthinking is a "thing".

I have not the foggiest clue what the last part of your comment means or what it has to do with anything...but it sounds pretty "woke", so you get points for that....

it's all good.

How is telling you to read your manual rude? I'll tell you what, why don't you call your dealership or better yet, call Mazda and put this question to them (using Dexos 2 instead of 1 in your engine) and tell me what they say...tell me if they *think* I was being rude by suggesting you go with what's in the manual. If they say I was rude, then I'll concede I was rude. Until then I stand by my comment.. sorry it doesn't comport with the type of answer you were looking for. But remember, this is an open forum and not everyone is going to subscribe to what you are trying to do.

He wants confirmation of his thinking. Any comments that go against the grain are considered rude. He has been given good advice in every thread he starts on this same subject but that seems to be disregarded.

It's the weekend and the weekenders come in here like clockwork.

Originally Posted by PimTac
it's all good.

He wants confirmation of his thinking. Any comments that go against the grain are considered rude. He has been given good advice in every thread he starts on this same subject but that seems to be disregarded.

It's the weekend and the weekenders come in here like clockwork.

actually all I'm.looking for is answers to my questions,if I'm right about somthing good if not even better,I'm here to learn.

Avi, you said the following..

i go to any companys oil selector and they recommend dexos 1 but also the 2(mazda cx5 g).

so my question is basically what to use,i

And I said, what does your owners manual say?
I'm assuming it doesn't say "or use a Dexos2" lube, otherwise you wouldn't be asking if it's ok to use in your gasser right? So what's the dilemma?

Fwiw, and not that you asked..unless I have a problem (like oil consumption) that requires me to deviate, i defer to my owners manual when it comes to lube selection. I may choose the brand but I always make sure it's in line with the manual as far as (the minimum) specs are concerned. I'm just not in the habit of going around wondering if I can run some non approved lube if there's no legit reason to be doing so. And that approach has always served me well with every car I've owned over the last 30yrs, each exceeding +200k miles... maybe I've just been lucky, dunno.🤔

the owner manual says all the way to sn but all the oil selectors are saying sn and dexos1 or2 that's wheres my question comes from.
if I can use both which is "better".

the owner manual says all the way to sn but all the oil selectors are saying sn and dexos1 or2 that's wheres my question comes from.

I'm not gonna weigh in on "better" because that's subjective and there's no guarantee you'll see any meaningful benefit from running a D2 lube. There are millions and millions of cars doing just fine running SN and SN/D1G2 approved lubes and unless you have a legit, bona fide reason to run Dexos 2, I'd stick with D1G2. But it's your car, your money..if you think the formulators at Pennzoil, Mobil or Chevron et. al missed something in making their pcmo's and it's keeping you up at night..by all means, feel free to experiment.

Last edited:

I'm not gonna weigh in on "better" because that's subjective and there's no guarantee you'll see any meaningful benefit from running a D2 lube. There are millions and millions of cars doing just fine running SN and SN/D1G2 approved lubes and unless you have a legit, bona fide reason to run Dexos 2, I'd stick with D1G2. But it's your car, your money..if you think the formulators at Pennzoil, Mobil or Chevron et. al missed something in making their pcmo's and it's keeping you up at night..by all means, feel free to experiment.

tnk u that's what I wanted to know,what would be a bona fide reason?my concern is my daily VERY short trips during the week,2.2km 16times a week.only fri and sat I'm on the high way for30-60 km in total.im changing oil twice a year after 6k km used magnatec and 8100,twice so far. in general d1 or d2 will be ideal for my situation or it doesn't matter due to me changing after 6k km anyway with a good syn oil?
tnx a lot.
and its morning is israel now -)

tnk u that's what I wanted to know,what would be a bona fide reason?my concern is my daily VERY short trips during the week,2.2km 16times a week.only fri and sat I'm on the high way for30-60 km in total.im changing oil twice a year after 6k km used magnatec and 8100,twice so far. in general d1 or d2 will be ideal for my situation or it doesn't matter due to me changing after 6k km anyway with a good syn oil?
tnx a lot.
and its morning is israel now -)

Mad Hatter is correct. I'll add the short trips still take their toll with Dexos 1 or Dexos 2 oil in the sump, or any oil for that matter. Condensation and fuel dilution from the short trips is still going to be there. Longer runs to burn it off and adjusting the OCI accordingly would be the best things to do for the engine. I'd get a UOA just to see what is going on.

Last edited:
so what do I need for short trips,high tbn,somting else or just to keep changing oil often?
tnx

Originally Posted by Petropolymers
Dexos 2 is a lower ash engine oil for vehicles with diesel particulate filters. It uses ACEA C3 (0.8% max ash) as the basis with some additional GM specific demands. The other key difference is that the fluid (because of ACEA C3) must have a HTHS (high temperature high shear) viscosity of greater than 3.5 cP as opposed to Dexos 1 which is greater than 2.9 cP. The lower the HTHS value the lower the fuel consumption - at least in idealised laboratory conditions. Higher HTHS values help with the higher compression and larger detonation pressure in diesel combustion.

With the exception of turbo gasoline direct injection vehicles it would be pretty safe to use Dexos 2 in place of Dexos 1. In Australia, General Motors Holden, recommends Dexos 1 in all gasoline/petrol engines but it is mandatory for all turbo charged gasoline direct injection engines where LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) is a potential issue. Dexos 2 is allowed (optional) in all non-turbo gasoline engines according to General Motors Holden. Most Dexos 2 formulations will meet/exceed API SN but may not (almost certainly won't) meet API SN Plus for LSPI protection.

Dexos 2 is also in 5W-40 viscosity grading and is in fact mandatory in some GM Diesels (from VM Motori in Italy). You will not find a 0W-20 Dexos 2 fluid due to the high HTHS requirement.

If the engine is a turbo gasoline direct injection engine vehicle, I would use Dexos 1 Gen 2 otherwise Dexos 2 should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back