Dex 6 FF - Chevy cruze 2012 - 100,000 miles

About 101,000 miles on my 2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4T, I took ownership at 50k miles and didn't see any service records of a transmission service, so assuming this is the FF but can't be 100% sure.

I did two drain and fills on it the same day after I secured the sample , about 9 new quarts mixed in there, takes a little more than 4.25 quarts per fill, did some driving in between the two fills.

Screenshot_20211214-163449_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Is this a UOA on the factory fill you drained or a UOA after you drained and filled a couple times?

Did you take any pictures of the used fluid or the drain plug? I had a 2014 Cruze and found the trans to be easy on fluid, based on the color after running for 20,000 miles on a fresh spill and fill.

What did you use to fill it with? Did you use ACDelco or another brand?

Super tech dex 6 that I bought 3 years ago when I got the car and put the job off way too long. It's no longer available as far as I know but it was a licensed dex 6, and from what I've gathered the gm license has a pretty tight spec and they're all almost identical with one additive package that has to be used and a short list of base oil suppliers that you are required to select from.

Paid $4.25 a quart before they stopped selling it.

Will probably do one fill of Amsoil on the next one or maybe Maxlife.

In April I bought a 2014 Cruze with the 1.4T engine and 103k on the clock. Unknown on the trans service record although overall the previous owner seems to have kept up on oil changes and the coolant appears to have been changed once.
When I drained the trans the first time it was pretty much the same as what you found. I refilled with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, drove it a week and repeated. I then let it go about a month and drained and filled it for the 3rd time. It has always performed properly and I am about 6k into my usage of it.
I will say that my experience with Dex 6 was that it doesnt necessarily stay all pretty and red. The coloring seems to fall off on it.
I am satisfied at this point that I have done whatever I could for it and the rest is up to luck.

Fluid in our 2013 was black as coal at 40k … did a couple rounds and then moved to 20k …
easier than an oil change … sometimes did both

Back