Delo 400 LE 15W-40 in my passenger cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
May I ask a specific question of the board? What is the general concensus on Delo 400 LE 15W-40 with respect to my cars (below)?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11022937&whse=BD_787&Ne=5000000%204000000&eCat=BD_787|8666|77863&N=4033386%205000012&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_787&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=bdoff

I’ve spent several days worth of time reading up on oil for my wife’s 1998 BMW 328is (160,000 miles on the clock, M52 engine) and as many people have, found it difficult to come up with a solid conclusion. The one thing that I DID get out my research is that 15W-40 sounds like the right viscosity for us here in So. Cal., where it never freezes. One other thing I gathered is that some believe that you can put almost anything in, as long as you change it often. I’m starting to think this isn’t as crazy as it sounds. My wife has changed the oil in her car by the dashboard “oil lights” ever since it was new, which I would call “often”, so I believe it to be in very good condition.

Delo 400 LE 15W-40 does not meet BMW’s LL98 standard “required” for the M52 engine (which I have). Her daily drive is mostly short, but sometimes long and there are no problems with the car.

So, one more question if I may, I’d like to use the Delo 400 LE 15W-40 in my high mileage 1990 VW Vanagon as well. Are there any risks or reasons why not??

Both cars get regular changes and are not driven abnormally hard. I am not looking for the BEST oil, just a good one that is appropriate for my cars.

Obviously, the price is right. I can pick it up locally and this month, Costco is offering a further $5 discount. I know, I shouldn’t think with my wallet, but I’ve read a couple of good threads on this oil and I would like to know if anyone can see any difficulty with either of my cars using it.

Thank you so much!

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

I don't see any problems with you using it in the Vanagon but not sure about the BMW. How many miles do you go between oil changes on these two vehicles?

Hi Johnny, thanks for the response.

I would call the change intervals "frequent". 3000-5000 on either car.

Cool, I think the differentiation between the two is interesting. And it makes sense to me that the BMW might have some more specific needs, being that it is a few years newer and has a bit more performance than the Vanagon. How can I find out if this Delo will or will not do a good job in the BMW? Again, I don't need the best oil, just one that will do the job well.

Thanks!

I think it'll work well in both vehicles. A modern HDEO like Delo LE should have more than adequate performance to meet the needs of a 1998 engine, which may have required more than "standard" oil performance for its time. If changes are every 3-5k miles anyway, a good HDEO like Delo LE would be great in it.

It's good to hear from you all, thank you. If there are any more/other opinions, please post a sentence or two if you have time.

However thus far I am satisfied that I haven't missed something obvious which would prohibit me from using the Delo LE. Thanks again.

Delo 15W-40 in the Vanagon, because it's old, but NOT in the BMW.
If you want to go with the budget route in the BMW, I'd use Rotella T 5W-40 since it has better oxidation/deposit resistance and is less thick during sub-normal oil temperatures than a 15W-40 mineral oil. The result should be a cleaner, more fuel efficient engine.

I've switched everything over to HDEO because of these forums. I joined to get info on cleaning up some beaters. Now im pleased to report I have better running vehicles and kept some money in pocket in the process by reading about all the sales and rebates.

Id agree with above to use the synthetic 5-40 in the bmw.

I use that rotella 5w-40 in my srt-4, but top off with 15-40. She doesn't seem to mind. In the so cal climate you can't pick the wrong oil, we have it easy.

Last edited:
Can I assume that the Delo 400 LE would work equally as well in my high mileage, classic volkswagens (i.e. '68 Karmann Ghia)?

Thanks!

I used Delo 400 in my m50 until I sold it with 250,000 miles. It ran great, and was amazingly clean under the VC. I wouldn't run it below 40F, but that's probably not an issue.

The car loved it.

I think that in your climate, and considerng the requirements that a dual-rated HDEO must meet, you'd be fine with any 15W-40 HDEO in both vehicles, particularly on 5K drains.
I will be using a 15W-40 HDEO in my old BMW, based upon what I have learned here.
Great value oils for the performance that you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back