Dell inspiron 7500..."Help"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently purchased this laptop to play around with as it had a 12gig HD with Windows 2000. I put a 30 gig with Win xp and all the laptop does when I power it on is the fan cycles on & off.
No screen,cannot get to bios anything.
I purchased 256mb of memory thinking that was the problem...no luck,same problem.
I purchased a so called working Inspiron 7500 (no screen) off Ebay and it showed the laptop as working properly.I received it today & installed the ram 7 hard drive and the same problem!!The hard drive is a working drive as It works on My Dell Inspiron 8500
Any ideas of what the heck the problem is?....Thanx!!

Pull the hard drive and see if it powers on. The new drive may be a higher rotational speed, and subsequently is drawing too much current, preventing the system from posting.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Might be a proprietary power connector. IIRC, the 8500 line-up (both desktop and laptop-based) were notorious for that.

I had to re-pin an ATX power supply to work in a DELL desktop many moons ago. Proprietary sheit......

I will try everyone suggestions,It does it on battery power & corded power.I can hear the fan and hard drive cycling on & off when I turn it on but thats as far as the laptop goes...off to try the hard drive suggestion!....Thanks everyone as I really want to get the thing running as even the Bottom keyboard section I bought off of ebay showed it working...but not for Me!
PS: this is an Inspiron 7500 Pentium 3 laptop

Pulled the hard drive...still the same darn problem.Funny that this happens on My original 7500 and now the one I just received from My ebay bid???

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Might be a proprietary power connector. IIRC, the 8500 line-up (both desktop and laptop-based) were notorious for that.

I had to re-pin an ATX power supply to work in a DELL desktop many moons ago. Proprietary sheit......

Can't tell you how happy I am to not be fixing that shyte anymore (save my own, of course).

So, what are the components you installed? Perhaps try reversing what you did; putting it back to how it was when it was working. Then go from there.....

If it's a working XP from a different system it won't even boot if the BIOS and all that stuff is even somewhat different... not like the old days when it'd boot in safe mode and complain about everything.

Try a live linux CD boot then try to see the HD thru linux's file manager. Knoppix is good.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If it's a working XP from a different system it won't even boot if the BIOS and all that stuff is even somewhat different... not like the old days when it'd boot in safe mode and complain about everything.

Try a live linux CD boot then try to see the HD thru linux's file manager. Knoppix is good.

Good idea as I thought it would boot off the XP hard drive I have.Maybe it is time to format the hard drive and then see if it will work in the 7500...a freshly formatted HD I hope will work...thanks!

I've had it work piles of times doing that kind of swap. Sometimes XP has a seizure, but it works more often than expected.... The issue really comes to light when you change chipset brands......

I've had it work piles of times doing that kind of swap. Sometimes XP has a seizure, but it works more often than expected.... The issue really comes to light when you change chipset brands......

Well I used "Killdisk" to scrub the harddrive and then put the drive in the laptop with the Windows cd and still the same problem on both laptops.Guess the laptops are junk
frown.gif

Are you getting ANYTHING on the screen when you turn it on?

Nothing on the screen on both of the Dell Inspiron 7500 laptops.When I turn both of them on all I hear is the hard drive & fan cycling on & off.

OVERKILL...The laptops did this with the original stick of ram,so I bought 2 new sticks from ebay and the laptops would also not work with the new sticks.this one really has Me puzzled???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back