Delivery TODAY of Tesla Model 3 ! Epic Party...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about the lines for fuel at the rest stops along the Jersey Turnpike and NYS Thruway, especially in the summer months - those pumps can service dozens of vehicles per hour, and the wait time is usually not too bad.

That "relaxing" 20 minute recharge is going to be a lot less so when there are 3 other EVs in front of you waiting for their turn. Charging capacity will get there eventually, but in the meantime there will be pain.

A Tesla owner told me he's doing his part by driving a zero emissions vehicle. I'll give him the zero emissions in town and that's an improvement. He's just moved the emissions to somewhere else. I asked him about the process of making and disposing of the batteries. He said it wasn't his problem. Ruby colored glasses?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A Tesla owner told me he's doing his part by driving a zero emissions vehicle. I'll give him the zero emissions in town and that's an improvement. He's just moved the emissions to somewhere else. I asked him about the process of making and disposing of the batteries. He said it wasn't his problem. Ruby colored glasses?

It's ignorance or simply denial.

A neighbor has had a Tesla for awhile, he was really excited to show me how much quicker his Tesla in "ludicrous mode" or whatever it was called was than my "bulletbike". I think it ruined his whole week when he lost.

I told him it was still impressive that a 5000 lb car could leave like that. Even if their rate of acceleration quickly tapers off after the initial run to 60 mph.

I hope the technology keeps advancing, as I'd like to have an electric car and bike where range and route isn't a concern.

I'd be up for an electric car if it had a little gas engine that would recharge the battery along with regen on braking and not required to drive the vehicle.

Like a BMW i3 or a Volt?

I'd be up for an electric car if it had a little gas engine that would recharge the battery along with regen on braking and not required to drive the vehicle.

Not if the ICE is required to supply any kind of direct drive to the wheels. I'd like to see all the drive and regen handled through the electric motor. I don't know if that's the way any of these new cars are configured.

image_uploaded_from_ios_1024-e1501299907544.jpg

VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS

Dimensions & Weight

Length: 184.8”
Width: 76.1” (72.8” with mirrors folded)
Height: 56.8”
Wheelbase: 113.2”
Track (wheel center): 62.2” front and rear
Ground clearance: 5.5”
Head room, standard: 39.6” front row, 37.7” second row
Head room, glass roof: 40.3” front row, 37.7” second row
Leg room: 42.7” front row, 35.2” second row
Shoulder room: 56.3” front row, 54.0” second row
Hip room: 53.4” front row, 52.4” second row
Seating capacity: 5 adults
Luggage capacity: 15 cubic feet
Curb weight:
3549 lbs. (Model 3)
3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)
Weight distribution:
47% front, 53% rear (Model 3)
48% front, 52% rear (Model 3 Long Range)
Body

Hybrid steel/aluminum body
Drag coefficient of 0.23
Chassis

Double wishbone, virtual steer axis front suspension with coil over twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
Independent multi-link rear suspension with twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
Variable ratio, speed sensitive electronic power steering
Electromechanically boosted four wheel anti-lock disc brakes with electronic brake force distribution
18” Aero or 19” Sport wheels with all-season tires

Not if the ICE is required to supply any kind of direct drive to the wheels. I'd like to see all the drive and regen handled through the electric motor. I don't know if that's the way any of these new cars are configured.
That's a "series hybrid". The Honda Accord Hybrid is purely a "series hybrid" below 43 mph. Above 43 mph, the engine is clutched to the electric drive motor to work together ("parallel hybrid"), with no gear changes or planetary gearsets.

If you want to skip the party, skip to 30:02 when Elon talks basic specs and customers take their cars. ....

Size Comparison
Ford Focus EV / Model 3 / Bolt / BMW 320i / Mazda 3
Length: 173" 185" 164" 182" 180"
Width: 72" 73" 70" 71" 71"
Height: 58" 57" 63" 56" 57"
Wheelbase: 104" 113" 102" 111" 106"
Weight: 3,691 3,549 3,580 3,370 2,967
Head Room: 38 40 40 40 39
Shoulder Room: 55.6 56.3 54.6 55.1 57.2
Hip Room 53.9 53.4 51.6 --- ---

The Bolt is a short, tall box type compared to the others.

The Model 3 does have a useful "frunk" (front trunk).

I don't see where I am incorrect. Yesterday I drove 31 miles to work, was suddenly called to another airport, 30 miles away, drove home to shower, then drove at night to Jax. Arrived dead tired at 11:30pm. All on one tank of gas.

At no point did I have time to deal with less than 200 miles of real world range. Nor did I have time to rent a car.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I don't see where I am incorrect. Yesterday I drove 31 miles to work, was suddenly called to another airport, 30 miles away, drove home to shower, then drove at night to Jax. Arrived dead tired at 11:30pm. All on one tank of gas.

At no point did I have time to deal with less than 200 miles of real world range. Nor did I have time to rent a car.

I've always said electric cars are really 2nd cars. We use ours for regular routes, errand-running, any short trip, but keep an ICE (hybrid) vehicle in the garage for use any time spontaneity demands it.

Very few people drive more than 200 miles per day (Bolt; Model 3 range). For those who do live in their cars, and can have only 1 car, EV's are a bad idea.

The future will rapidly pass many BITOGERS by. No matter how much they disapprove of its arrival.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
So just how petrochemical free is this car (you can't get past the battery) ...

Watch out, got knocked the other day for using the term "petrochemical" instead of petroleum... I get what you're saying though
wink.gif

IMO hybrid vehicles and vehicles with EV modes are far superior to those that don't. You can optimize SFC, engine loading, add full torque at 0 RPM, etc.

IMO EV only vehicles are stupid. They have to harness their energy from someplace, and there is no free lunch.

An "EV only" vehicle with a 30-60kW generator on it to ensure range and operability is the sweet spot for commuting type cars. Ive long said I think the BMW i3 concept is good. But the US laws/regulations/etc work against an optimal combination.

Batteries will never meet the energy density of liquid fuels. But batteries can sure extend the benefits and operation of vehicles running on liquid fuels. Why we waste our liquid fuels for anything but mobility is long term stupid for short term cost benefit.

Nice (bad) assumption - but the thin film technology and all the plastics ain't from Mars ...
Note I have a Hybrid in signature ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back