Delightful FRAM PH3614 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the off center end cap issue on this one like some others. Center tube edge exposed on one side, black glue overhang seen on other side. Was there black glue on the sharp center tube exposed side? I bet there was. I bet the delight carries on regardless.
laugh.gif

Pretty hard to determine if the center tube is off center when the photo angle is 45 deg to the center tube axis.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Pretty hard to determine if the center tube is off center when the photo angle is 45 deg to the center tube axis.

The angle is even better this way to hide the edge of the tube, but it isn't hiding, it's clear as day. The end cap is off center, the picture shows it, and the black glue on the other side. I think the previous "th" is more appropriate than the new "ht" can of (blank). Check how long since eye exam. Or maybe it is the Fram filtered glasses they sent you. Or maybe you are just an optimist. Nothing wrong with optimism.

More like the visual distortion effect from the Fram hate glasses you've been wearing lately.
wink.gif

More like the visual distortion effect from the Fram hate glasses you've been wearing lately.
wink.gif

Doesn't work that way. The picture shows the off center end cap and the exposed edge of the center tube. Looking across the tube we see black glue. Where did the glue go on the sharp edge side, it's so clean there. You don't need any glasses to see this. But not to see this requires those special Fram goggles you have on every day.

The angle of that photo can't prove anything definitive if there's a problem or not ... gonna agree to disagree on this one.

Bet it has more media area than some other brands for the same vehicle. Can't go by number of pleats.

I would have preferred a screen capture, but the original was a bit blurry. The following filter media measurements are from 2012 (and perhaps things have changed), courtesy of Four Wheeler Magazine:

PH3614 = 106.875 sq inches
Toyota OEM = 160 sq inches
Purolator L10241 = 133 sq inches
Bosch 3330 = 133 sq inches
TG3614 = 123.5 sq inches
Napa Gold 1348 = 131.5 sq inches
Pennzoil PZ21 = 133 sq inches

note: The Toyota OEM number was from the minimopar study.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: newtoncd8
The following filter media measurements are from 2012 (and perhaps things have changed)...

It's possible, maybe the OP can measure the media area on this particular PH3614 and compare to the 2012 number.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
wink.gif

Doesn't work that way. The picture shows the off center end cap and the exposed edge of the center tube. Looking across the tube we see black glue. Where did the glue go on the sharp edge side, it's so clean there. You don't need any glasses to see this. But not to see this requires those special Fram goggles you have on every day.

Haters gonna hate. Yes, off a bit in a spot, when all pressed together there is no way it's leaking. But you are free to disagree. It would be better
if the hole in the end cap was a slightly smaller diameter though.

It doesn't greatly matter exactly where the center tube sits, if the media is properly glued to the end cap, and other parts (ADV, etc.) are well sealed to the end cap at each end. Yes, perfectly centered would be preferable, but isn't critical. The end cap's purpose is to guard against inward collapse of the media, not to direct the oil flow.

Quote:
.... Yes, off a bit in a spot, when all pressed together there is no way it's leaking.

Perhaps, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence imo. As comparison, have a Nissan factory filter with fiber endcaps sitting here dissected. With bypass removed centertube ends completely covered so all doubt removed. But interesting to know if exposed centertube area corresponds to area of pleat distortion next to seam pleat.

One would hope at <4k miles fci most any filter be ok.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
wink.gif

Haters gonna hate. Yes, off a bit in a spot, when all pressed together there is no way it's leaking. But you are free to disagree. It would be better
if the hole in the end cap was a slightly smaller diameter though.

Explain how it is "hate" to point out a defect? Thanks for the new picture, it shows what I said better. Now where is the glue above the sharp exposed metal edge? Was their glue there? I think there was. Now it is somewhere else. Nowhere did I say anything about leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back