Defunt stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Stride-Rite shoes
Zayre
Bradlees
At least in this area, A&P supermarkets.

Ah, the A&P supermarket. That reminds me of Friday nights when I was very, very young. My mother and her sister (my aunt) would go shopping at the local A&P. I'd go along, and then depart for Miller's 5&10 to peruse the toys and of course, the hardware section. So I'll add to the list:
All the local 5&10s.
A pity they're gone.

Oh, and most of the local independent hardware stores. Daub's Hardware was my favorite. Add to the list:
All the local hardware stores.
It's good when you come across an old hardware store, the creaky wooden floors bring back memories...

Last edited:
I Forgot one:

Murrays auto stores
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Robert Hall
Wilmington Dry Goods
Hess's

"We're doing our Christmas shopping at Robert Hall this year" was a jingle I know though before my time.

I remember shopping at Hess's. still keep Christmas lights in a Hess's box with multicolor "Hess's" in script on a white background.

What about Orbachs, Haband, Hahne's, Gimbels, Sterns, and TwoGuys?

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

Oh, and most of the local independent hardware stores. Daub's Hardware was my favorite.

Rick, not sure about your exact location but you may have known/remember Marcus Hook Hardware

Almart (Delaware)
Basco (became BEST in thee early 80s) (PA)
Pomeroy's (Delaware)
Bradlee's (Delaware)

Mr. Doughnut (national)

SS Kresge (now K mart) (Chicagoland)

Alpha Beta (Southern, CA)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Basco (became BEST in thee early 80s) (PA)

I know the store in Springfield, PA started as Block Distributors

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: cmorr
Forgot (2)

Heath - Loved walking around the store and still have a Heathkit radio I built

Edmund Scientific - They still have mail order but anyone who ever visited the Barrington, NJ retail store knows how special that store was

Lafayette Radio Electronics
My Dad and I built 2 Heathkit color TV's, one before and one after their takeover by Zenith. The before was an actual build, every piece had to be soldered onto one of many PC Boards. The only thing that came preassembled was the high-voltage assembly. The Zenith-kit TV was almost a shake-the-box build, some preassembled boards that just need to be mounted and connected using wiring harnesses. Kind of a disappointment.

Back on-topic, Venture stores, Highland Appliances, Robert Hall clothing, Goldblatt's (Chicago area).

I remember Venture stores, similar to a Target or KMart. Also Famous Barr and Stix Baer and Fuller here in the St Louis area. Famous Barr became Macy's and SBF became Dillards.

Anyone remember Service Merchandise, or Stroud's in NE PA?

I was too young to buy from either, but remember going there... They were like living catalogs... You saw the stuff like in a catalog (in cases, IIRC), and then you'd order what you wanted and it would come down to you on a conveyor at the cashier.

Or something like that...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I was too young to buy from either, but remember going there... They were like living catalogs... You saw the stuff like in a catalog (in cases, IIRC), and then you'd order what you wanted and it would come down to you on a conveyor at the cashier.

They came on the scene in the late 80s early 90s? Right?

They were exactly like Basco , BEST, ect.
Yep. I believe that they were scattered through
out the Delaware Valley. I forget where the closest one to us was I lived in West Chester PA,...Maybe there was one in Springfield on Rt 1? Used to be known as the "Golden Mile" lots of stores and car dealerships.

Last edited:
hardware stores:
Goodman Lumber - Large independent hardware store like a mini Home Depot. The lot was vacant for like 10 years, now it is a Lowe's.

Whole Earth Access - Warehouse like store that sold electronics, books, small appliances. Was on the same lot as Goodman Lumber, oddly both closed down around the same time.

department stores:
Montgomery Wards - Like Target back in the day.
Emporium - One of the oldest department stores still in operation at the time, it was sort of like Macy's.
Mervyn's and Mervyn's California - Similar to Kohl's or JC Penney.

Woolworth's - Sort of like Target but didn't carry that much stuff.

drugstores:
Merrill's - Typical drug store, stores were somewhat dated in terms of appearance.

supermarkets:
Cala Foods (Ralphs, DeLano) - More or less like Safeway.

electronics/computer stores:
Circuit City
Good Guys
CompUSA
Computown
Computerware - It was a computer store that sold only Apple Macintosh stuff.

music stores:
Tower Records
Virgin Megastore - The largest music store I've been in, it has like 4 or 5 floors. You can get lost in that store its like a maze.
Wherehouse music

Korvettes
Alexander's on Route 17 New Jersey
2 Guys Department Stores
Caldors
Bradlees
Burdines [South Florida]

Most of all those stores were in New Jersey..All were very good stores to deal with unlike the garbage stores [like BrandsMart in South Florida] today.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Korvettes
Alexander's on Route 17 New Jersey
2 Guys Department Stores
Caldors
Bradlees
Burdines [South Florida]

Most of all those stores were in New Jersey..All were very good stores to deal with unlike the garbage stores [like BrandsMart in South Florida] today.

Yes, all of those except Korvettes I remember. Dont recall shopping in TwoGuys, but my parents did and had a lot of stuff from there.

I was looking on Flikr, as there are a lot of great albums that show the old stores in various shopping centers and what they were, even some old time pics... Its great. Apparently many of the Korvettes became K-marts.

I still have my HP-15C calculator I got from SM in the early 1980s!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back