Definition of "Synthetic" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm interesting, but the definition if synthetic/dino oil can not be based on source location of the raw material because that you may then ,theoretically at least, reach the same end product(molecule) using different raw material, rendering the definition useless. In organic chemistry that is quite possible. I would assume the only reason using one or the other raw material is process economics.
Some assumptions:
1. To Refine is to isolate material already present in the basic mix.
2. New molecules not present in the basic material, or anywhere else, would be synthetic in my world.
3. To create more molecules of a material already present in the basic material would be a synthetc process, but not constitute a synthetic material.
4. A molecule not availiable in a natural state is a synthetic and would be specific molecule.
5. The properties of a refined molecule A can be similar to a synthetic molecule B, still not making A a synthetic!

Point 5 is the interesting one for us when using an oil. We want the correct properties, how the stuff was made is not soo important.
But, can you really call it a synthetic? Or should you use the term "synthetic properties" unless it is PAO or such?
In any case, we seem to mix product properties and chemistry which is where we go wrong...

18.gif

If you search this forum this topic is has old as the hills and pops up almost every other day, I think what tweaks most of us is were paying for 100% syn oil but were really just getting 100% syn "marketing" until some one makes a legal stand on this issue and draws a line in the sand this will not change.
12.gif
Change your oil often and no worries, were likely beating a dead horse, worry about the presidential election instead
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back