Declining DIY Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.glgroup.com/News/Why-Fewer-Pe...rket-12812.html

From 2007

Quote:
"In response to this complexity, the oil companies are increasingly relying on the additive suppliers to customize and differentiate their product offerings leading to higher margins......In most cases these niche oils are developed by the additive companies, not by the lubricant marketer. These custom packages are sold at higher margins and over time should account for an increasing share of the engine oil business."

Because disposable income has decreased... I think the two are related.
wink.gif

Heh, I think the DIY market has grown the past few years. People are either running their oil longer, or changing it themselves. I just changed the oil on the vehicles for a few family members. $12 at AutoZone for 5 quarts of MC5000 and a Champ Labs-made Valucraft filter. For 20 minutes of my time per vehicle, it's worth the savings over a regular mechanic. Especially the "teaser" specials at the chain shops that tell you horror stories about your car.

Up here in my neck of the woods you really don't save much money when you change your oil yourself. A brand new chain of fast lube places just opened up and they charge $19.99 for an oil change. And Meineke has had a $19.99 oil change for a while now (although at this new fast lube place you could just show up anytime without an appointment and they claim to do it in 10 minutes, although I for one don't want someone rushing my oil change like that!)

A do it yourselfer up here could buy a 5L jug of oil on sale at Walmart for around $10-12, and the filter would cost a minimum of $4, so it's not a big savings, so you can see why so many people would rather just pay the $19.99 and not have to get their hands dirty!

I started a car club for old retired guys. We are mostly Mustangs, Corvettes and Camaros. The Mustang guys tend to do their own oil changes and other simple maintenance. None of the Corvette guys do.

Originally Posted By: cp3
+1 Most people look at you like you have four heads when you try talking to them about oil or performing car maintenance!

I'm pretty sure that makes us the weird ones.

I think of myself as a rebel - a non conformist DIY oil changer. I could sit in the lobby of a Jiffy Lube drinking coffee while they pour straight 40 weight oil into the cooling system, but I like to stand out from the crowd.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I started a car club for old retired guys. We are mostly Mustangs, Corvettes and Camaros. The Mustang guys tend to do their own oil changes and other simple maintenance. None of the Corvette guys do.

That's why I'm a Mustang guy! (OK, so I need to get another Mustang, but the Mark VIII is similar.)

I know I'm a declining breed, but I ENJOY the opportunity to change the oil. Get in the garage where nobody will bother me for a while, turn on the music, the smells, lol, and the satisfaction of accomplishing something. The most satisfying thing is starting up the car afterward, and making sure everything is perfect.

I am the only DIY guy on my street. I would think DIY work is increasing as more people look to save money in a bad economy.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Patman... I wanna see you take your Corvette for a $19.99 Oil change.
lol.gif

That would never happen!
grin2.gif

I'd never let anyone change my oil, but I'd be interested to see what they'd charge Corvette owners, or any car that requires synthetic. I know that GM dealers up here charge a fortune! (over $100!) One of the GM dealers at a Corvette show I went to earlier this year was handing out coupons for free oil changes for Corvette owners using the Castrol 4718M Professional oil. A few of my friends took advantage of this service actually, and the oil change really was free, no strings attached. They were quite happy to save the $100+ they usually spend!

When I first got my Santa Fe I was using M1 5w30 in it and I was in Windsor in the winter time for something work related and I had forgotten I was getting close to an oil change mileage. Anyways I realized down there and went to a Mr. Lube and had it done and just about hit the roof when the guy said $78!
shocked2.gif

No wonder you get a free coffee and a paper while you wait. Shoot they should have a 5 course meal for you.
lol.gif

Or is that just because I'm Italian?

MB dealer near my house charges $250 for an oil change, most MB engines need 8-9 quarts M1 0W40 and they provide a MB C-Class 1 day free rental (actually the rental is included in the oil change price of $250).

Do it myself costs me less than $30 (oil bought on sale plus rebate) and 45-60 minutes only rather than make an appointment, drive to dealer, wait inline, talk to service rep, get a car rental, return to dealer to get the car after paying big check. The total time to/from and at dealer is about 90-120 minutes.

The same for Honda and Lexus, I save more than 70% with DIY and I get to do it whenever I feel like it, weekday evening or night or Saturday-Sunday morning ...

I don't think so Stevie, I'm not Italian and I would have told the guy he was just supposed to change the oil not the engine!
33.gif

Like demarpaint said, about the only DIYer on the streen, have seen a bit of work being done but not much. Not even a car being washed!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I change the oil and do other maintenance myself not just to save money, but mainly because I don't want anybody touching my car. I know the job is done right.
That is why I do it and because I'm CHEAP!
grin2.gif

Even now that I live in an apartment I drive over to the folks house and do it on a weekend or whatever.

Although I could do it at my new place I guess because I have a private garage for my truck now.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back