Deciding on optics

Hoping some discussion can sway me here. I have a free float running a LPVO but I’m talking about my M4gery with FSB and mid length gas.

I have DD irons,1x prism and 3x prism available for it. Or possibly sell some and go 5x prism or LPVO. I actually really like the simple 3x32 Nikon but would like some form of illumination. This isn’t a competition gun but I’d like it to be able to tackle anything. For discussion terms say it could be compared to a big out rifle. It is 5.56 btw. Suggestions on which sighting system to use? I do like irons and have above normal eyesight but can’t argue that optics add speed and precision....

Hard to define an 'anything" optic

Any specifics as to range, terrain, hunting/tactical?- help narrow the field a bit on such a broad subject

Hard to define an 'anything" optic

Any specifics as to range, terrain, hunting/tactical?- help narrow the field a bit on such a broad subject

Kind of looking for a jack of all trades master of none, really. Hunting could be anything from trying headshots on small game to ~100yrds on deer. I would want to be able to engage up to a couple hundred yards but this is not the primary function. Could be pressed into self defense. Could be subject to exposure and moderately rough use. Could be used in a tactical scenario. Realistically will actually be used as safe queen and range toy 🤫

Any input on those using various scopes with their FSB? I did trial with a 3-9x40 Leupold which did not show any FSB ghosting at any magnification but my 3x prism shows the FSB pretty noticably. Trying to avoid that if I decided on a fixed power magnified. Obviously a 1x type optic will have FSB in the picture.

Kind of looking for a jack of all trades master of none, really. Hunting could be anything from trying headshots on small game to ~100yrds on deer. I would want to be able to engage up to a couple hundred yards but this is not the primary function. Could be pressed into self defense. Could be subject to exposure and moderately rough use. Could be used in a tactical scenario. Realistically will actually be used as safe queen and range toy 🤫

Any input on those using various scopes with their FSB? I did trial with a 3-9x40 Leupold which did not show any FSB ghosting at any magnification but my 3x prism shows the FSB pretty noticably. Trying to avoid that if I decided on a fixed power magnified. Obviously a 1x type optic will have FSB in the picture.

Sounds to me like an ACOG with BUIS ( you gonna ghost with the FSB but many say its tolerable)

You wont regret an ACOG for all around GP that's high quality

Sounds to me like an ACOG with BUIS ( you gonna ghost with the FSB but many say its tolerable)

You wont regret an ACOG for all around GP that's high quality

That’s what I keep thinking, just hate to pay for the name when there are many great prisms out there. Though the battery free design is appealing at many levels.

My uses are the same as yours.

A buddy who competes in 3-Gun suggested the Burris RT-6 when I got my AR.

It’s a 1-6x24mm variable power optic with an illuminated ballistic AR reticle.

Probably similar to the 1-6x OVERKILL posted above.

Very clear glass (made in Philippines).

Basically functions as a red dot optic on the 1x setting. There’s virtually zero magnification on 1x.

I‘ve found it time be very precise at longer ranges. The ballistic reticle makes it easy to hit with at different ranges.

And, at $275, it was very affordable. I feel that I spent the least amount that I needed to spend to get something decent.

Oh, and it has a “no questions asked” Lifetime Warranty.

how far are you shooting? what kind of drop do you need to accommodate?

Do you need variable? or can you go with a fixed (my choice).

a 6x fixed power SWFA scope which will be on sale on turkey day is something I got in the past and I will get a few more this year, I will probably get a 16x too.
$199 sale price on turkey day.

I put 4x ACOG’s on my AR’s. Eotech’s on my shorter range stuff (50 beowulf and shotguns) and 10X super sniper scopes on my longer range stuff. I have a few other optics, but these are what fits me best.

Reason: ACOG has water clear optics, gets very accurate results and I like the chevron/drop reticle. Works fast And has a wide FoV. Eotech has a small dot and makes for a more accurate red dot than the competition with a ultra field of view. The SS scope is also optically sharp, and 10X gives a good FoV.

I don’t shoot beyond 600, so that setup is just right.

Last edited:
I wanted to add that back up iron sights can work with the ACOG. It will degrade the stunningly good image a touch. But after 20 years of this, I’ve decided there is no need for BUIS‘s On anything with quality optics, especially the ACOG.

Optics are great. I’ve got a Leupold Carbine Optic on my .300 BLK. it’s intended for modest range, so no magnification. Much clearer than an EOTech. Love it. Super battery life. It has a set of magpul back up irons that are normal stowed but pop up in a second. For short to medium range. That Leupold is sweet. Quick acquisition, great field of view. Sharp, clear.

For a variety of ranges, I’ve got a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on my .308 carbine. Illuminated reticle. Very nice. Very clear. Sharp reticle. That rifle has the standard fixed front sight and a pop up iron rear, but I’ve never used them. They’re sighted at 100. You cant really see the front sight through the scope, it doesn’t bother me at all.

I’m struggling with all your acronyms. This is for a 5.56 AR, right?

A good variable scope with illuminated reticle for quick acquisition would be my recommendation, unless you plan to stay 100 yards or less.

Yes, I’ve shot 300 yard target with irons on an M4 when I was on Active Duty. It’s a pain. Give me a magnified scope for that range any day.

Optics are great. I’ve got a Leupold Carbine Optic on my .300 BLK. it’s intended for modest range, so no magnification. Much clearer than an EOTech. Love it. Super battery life. It has a set of magpul back up irons that are normal stowed but pop up in a second. For short to medium range. That Leupold is sweet. Quick acquisition, great field of view. Sharp, clear.

For a variety of ranges, I’ve got a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on my .308 carbine. Illuminated reticle. Very nice. Very clear. Sharp reticle. That rifle has the standard fixed front sight and a pop up iron rear, but I’ve never used them. They’re sighted at 100. You cant really see the front sight through the scope, it doesn’t bother me at all.

I’m struggling with all your acronyms. This is for a 5.56 AR, right?

A good variable scope with illuminated reticle for quick acquisition would be my recommendation, unless you plan to stay 100 yards or less.

Yes, I’ve shot 300 yard target with irons on an M4 when I was on Active Duty. It’s a pain. Give me a magnified scope for that range any day.
On a square range, unity is fine out to 100 and further, but when you use the weapon practically in the real world, magnification becomes important far sooner, especially when partial targets, foliage, and other things are introduced.

Maybe Leupold changed their LCO, but I found the Eotech "glass" much clearer, although the reticle is "pixelated" by nature, especially if you stare at it.

You'll love this...Leupold has a very deep MIL/LEO discount but you're limited to 2 purchases a year with it.

I put 4x ACOG’s on my AR’s. Eotech’s on my shorter range stuff (50 beowulf and shotguns) and 10X super sniper scopes on my longer range stuff. I have a few other optics, but these are what fits me best.

Reason: ACOG has water clear optics, gets very accurate results and I like the chevron/drop reticle. Works fast And has a wide FoV. Eotech has a small dot and makes for a more accurate red dot than the competition with a ultra field of view. The SS scope is also optically sharp, and 10X gives a good FoV.

I don’t shoot beyond 600, so that setup is just right.

I gotta go with this too

Back