Dealing with a lost title (and a careless owner.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in buying an old truck that the owner needs to get off of his driveway and fairly soon, before the city takes legal action against him...

But here's the scenario. Not only can't the owner find the title, he never had the title transferred into HIS name when he bought the truck 10-15 years ago. The truck is still titled in the previous owner's name... and we don't know who that person is, or even if he's still alive.

The current "owner" is in his late 80's, and he simply can't find the title, and can't remember who he bought it from.

The DMV has confirmed for me that the truck is NOT titled in the current "owner's" name (and they can't tell me WHO they show that it is titled to because of privacy regulations) so his story seems to be correct there. It's been sitting out in the open on his driveway in a newer neighborhood for years, not even covered up, so I seriously doubt that it is stolen.

And it is quite a unique model... a Ford Econoline E100 pickup.

So, without a title, and with little to go on, how does one start to unravel this mess?

Talk to the DMV or whoever titles vehicles in your state/town (here in KY it is the KY clerk's office in each county) and ask them what to do. If they don't know, ask them who with the state would know and for their contact info.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
find a friend who works for the dmv, get the guys name..

Legally.

This is not the state to try that. We have a former governor who has spent the last several years in prison, because he played loose and fast with the rules when he ran the DMV (before he became governor).

And I really don't want to tick off the office that issues my driver's license...

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Talk to the DMV or whoever titles vehicles in your state/town (here in KY it is the KY clerk's office in each county) and ask them what to do. If they don't know, ask them who with the state would know and for their contact info.

I've actually had experience with the Pulaski County (KY) clerk's office, from when I bought a motorcycle there.

Here in Illinois, it is all done at the state capitol (Springfield).

This situation is just so messed up, I'm not sure where to start, and I can't do anything with the state until at least Tuesday (they're closed on Mondays).

And the clock is ticking as far as legal action that the city has threatened...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

This situation is just so messed up, I'm not sure where to start, and I can't do anything with the state until at least Tuesday (they're closed on Mondays).

And the clock is ticking as far as legal action that the city has threatened...

You and the current owner could talk to the city and say you want to buy the truck, but there is the title problem. They very well may not only be willing to give a bit more time, but might try to help resolve the title issue in whatever way they can. It costs them money to sue, and I'm sure they'd like to save that money. But then again, it is Illinois.

I'm debating buying it from the "seller" on a bill of sale, to help the seller out with his problem with the city, and then trailering it out to the farm.

But that still doesn't do anything to solve the problem with the title.

Neat truck.

First, see what the DMV says.

My suspicion is that Illinois is very strict about this sort of thing. It may take a lot of work. If you are able to take possession of the truck and have some paperwork documenting the purchase, you will almost certainly be able to register it eventually. That could take months/years and may involve police and/or judges.

The DMV will probably not want to process a duplicate title request from anyone but the owner they have on record.

Here are some ideas:
See if the old man has any children/relatives nearby who may be familiar with his "filing system." They might be able to help find the title, especially if they know that he might be in legal trouble for keeping the truck.

If the local police have been harassing him about moving it, they might be willing to help you out with finding the previous owner, who might be willing to file that duplicate title request.

There is probably an abandoned vehicle lien procedure that could be invoked. It may require either a public sale for clear title or else getting a salvage title.

Good luck, and post pictures when you get it.

Put it on the street. Let it get towed. Watch for it being put up at auction. of course there can be problems with that idea, so I am offering this mostly in jest.

Last edited:
If you value it I'd find a friend's house, either far away or with a locked garage to park it in for now. Someone may come to seize it anytime. If it's not worth much and no sentimental value I'd say just let 'em take it and get the problem off your hands. Sorry, that's the best advice I can come up with. I'm sure there's somewhere you can hide it if you have to while you sort things out.

The way your supposed to do it here would be to get a bill of sale from the last registered owner. Since thats not an option the next option is to forge a bill of sale.

Thats what the DMV tells you here. They will tell you to go get lunch and maybe during lunch you will run into the guy and he will sign it over to you. The DMV employee knows how much of a pain this can be and they know what your going to do on your "Lunch".

Show back up at the DMV with the bill of sale then you can apply for a lost title and get the ball rolling.

Another way is to put a Lein against the truck. After 30 days it's yours. Shops do this all the time.

Anyway a lost title is not the end of the world.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Another way is to put a Lein against the truck. After 30 days it's yours. Shops do this all the time.

Wouldn't this effect the seller's credit? Though, since the vehicle isn't titled in his name, maybe not.

Get it registered in Maine with someone like Broadway title services.

It's a pre 1995 so it's title exempt and no prior paper work is required.

You give Broadway power of attorney and they register it for you. You get a registration that also doubles as proof of ownership. Turn this in to the Illinois DMV and you get title and everything else.

EDIT: Looks like Broadway doesn't work with IL and about six other states. I would try to get a bonded title, where you put up 150% of the fair market value of the vehicle and if noone claims against it in three years you get it free and clear. You often have to run an ad in the paper looking for old leinholders. Get it towed to your house then claim storage fees.

well, you can certainly buy it and get a bill of sale. this will let you move and work on the vehicle, getting the city out of the picture. Next, most shops have somebody they pay to do the paperwork for mechanics liens - find out who and how much. your repair parts might be the basis for the mechanics lien, but I'm sure local shops know how. It may be slow, but you aren't driving it tomorrow - right?

WOW! I am really glad I don't live in IL. $95 title fee to start with and having to have a title on an old vehicle to boot. What a rip off. No title needed here on any vehicle over 10 years old.

The way your supposed to do it here would be to get a bill of sale from the last registered owner. Since thats not an option the next option is to forge a bill of sale.

Show back up at the DMV with the bill of sale then you can apply for a lost title and get the ball rolling.

Chris, that's exactly how I've done it. In fact, did it fairly recently. My SIL had a vehicle given to her from a previous boyfriend. It sat in her driveway for a few years. She gave it to my nephew. Just like you said. Write up a bill of sale with a sig from the PO, then file for a lost title. It took weeks for us to get the new title.

Joel

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
WOW! I am really glad I don't live in IL. $95 title fee to start with

Not only that, but vehicle registration (tag renewal) is $100 every year.

The problem is, the title is not in the name of the seller. The truck is still titled in the name of guy who owned the truck before him (a third party). The guy who has the truck now never had it re-titled.

I'll look into the idea of using a mechanic's lien.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
WOW! I am really glad I don't live in IL. $95 title fee to start with

Not only that, but vehicle registration (tag renewal) is $100 every year.

I would take the $100 a year renewal fee in a second. Here it is based on the year of the vehicle, what the vehicle cost new, and some other stuff. It would cost you more than $100 to register an old Yugo here. It generally runs me a lot as I drive newer vehicles and they are trucks to boot so not cheap to buy. A small portion goes to the town but the major chunk goes to the state. All depends on how new it is as to how bad you will get porked.

I usually change vehicles every 2-3 years so I am always getting nailed at renewal time. My state does not have an income tax and no sales tax so they get it from us on property tax and vehicle registration fees. I paid $476 to register my truck this year. It was just over $600 when I bought it in 2009 and last year it was mid $590. I am finally kept a vehicle long enough for the fee to drop a significant amount...
lol.gif

My state does not have an income tax and no sales tax so they get it from us on property tax and vehicle registration fees. I paid $476 to register my truck this year.

Yeah, they'll always find a way to get ya. But I'd gladly pay $500 registration fee if I don't have to pay state income taxes and sales tax. Our property taxes are fairly high, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back